Balloon tours

Reply

Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:30 AM
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 72
Balloon tours

I was reading other posts back from 2002-2003 and several were somewhat negative. One mentioned having a very hard time getting his money back from a cancelled tour due to bad weather. I'm worried to book ahead but yet don't want to miss this while there. Even my agent suggested waiting till I am there. She said that there are several companies and can even try @ Serengeti if unable to arrange @ Mara.
Help!!!!
dorish34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:02 AM
  #2
sandi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I've never done the balloon rides, so have no personal experience. These just haven't been of interest.

But if you will be spending 3- days at either Mara, or 1-2 days the Central Serengeti, arrange for the balloon ride as soonn as you arrive at your accommodation in these areas.

Those who schedule these have an idea a day ahead if the weather will be good enough for the balloon to go aloaft. That's the best I can suggest. Or take your chances the "day of."
 
Reply With Quote
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:22 AM
  #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,032
If you wait, they could also sell out the available spaces. Best option would be to wait until within 60-30 days of the day you wish to take the ride and then book through your travel agent/tour operator using a credit card.

This way, if cancelled because of weather and they do not cheerfully refund your money, you can file a dispute with the bank as soon as you return and they will disallow the charge. And, worst case, you have the tour operator AND the travel agent to back against.
NoFlyZone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:56 AM
  #4
nkh
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 218
Based on our personal experience only - we booked on arrival in the Serengeti and had no problem with spaces available. We did inform our guide/company on arriving that it would be something we were interested in, and trusted his judgement on how busy things were (I believe he called ahead on the morning we were due to arrive in Serengeti to see how bookings were looking and they put us on the list then). Price in the Serengeti was slightly higher than the Mara (25 dollar difference), however there is only one company operating in the Serengeti. They, and the ride, were wonderful, by the way .

We didn't try in the Mara (chose Serengeti due to time of year) so I can't tell you if it is likely to be busier there.

I would think that if you have a few possible days it is probably better to wait until you are there to book, then put your name down as soon as possible. If you only have one day available then book it in advance.
nkh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:53 PM
  #5
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 72
Thanks for the suggestions.
dorish34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 



Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:15 PM.