Reload this Page >

Saudi Arabia-Help! Recent Updates

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:20 AM
ET

I am searching for some recent updates on conditions in Saudi Arabia...My husband is considering a job in Ryiad and I am concerned....about many things...can anyone offer any information.....?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:05 AM
King

ET, to start with: leave your driving license at home (no women drivers allowed), and buy yourself a fashionable burka from the nearest Macy's...

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 10:34 AM
NM

I lived there for fifteen years in the Eastern Province, returning to the US in 1996. The Capitol is more strict than where I was. Women can't drive but there are taxis. Shopping is good. The travel benefits are wonderful. Your experience will depend upon who you work for and what kind of housing they provide. There are women's groups that get together to socialize. Keep an open mind.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:23 AM
Christi

I have many friends living in Saudi that work for Aramco. They love it there. But I have heard it is quite a different life if working for a smaller (non-Aramco) company. I know the American schools are very good... but I believe you still have to send high school age chilren abroad to boarding schools... not necessarily a bad thing as it is a great experience. Contact the Women's Association in Ryiad via the US Embassy or Consulate for more info about living conditions. Hope you enjoy it!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 11:53 AM
ET

Thank you so much for your responses. I am at this point thinking that my husband would live there while I would remain in the US as I am an only child with an elderly mother who just could not travel to SA. As there would be travel for him...I would meet him as often as I could in London and then travel to SA once or twice a year and he would travel home one or twice year....We are thinking of trying this for a few years...We are still in the considering stages...My fears are more because of the unrest in the Middle East and because I know so little about SA....I worry about his safety and my adult children who no doubt would want to visit him .... We talk of this as an adventure because our children are adults...and we are empty nesters...he sees this as an opportunity to travel and explore a very different part of the world....I am a bit more fearful than he....He sees this as a wonderful opportunity...sometimes I wonder if he is crazy to think about leaving the US at this time....any more comments or sites to visit would be most welcomed....thank you!