Search

Victoria Falls Viewing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victoria Falls Viewing

Hi folks;

This is a question on the best viewing strategies for Vic Falls.
As part of our African trip in February we will have a brief time there staying on the Zambia side (Zambezi Sun Hotel ) , which apparently is right by the falls inside the park.
From reading previous posts it appears that the viewing is best from the Zimbabwe side.

What I'm wondering is would the very best be a helicopter ride over the falls thereby avoiding the need to pay for another visa fee (Zimbabwe) ?
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 08:57 AM

The Zim side is better.

But if comparing the price of a heli trip vs a Visa (ZIM Visa is about $40)... you decide. It's also, IMHO best to view the Falls from the ground.

Besides, I'm one of those people who doesn't believe a heli should even be able to fly and unless I had to be extracted from a war zone, would never get on one of these. We all have our quirks, I guess.

Your decision then.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 04:24 PM

I was going to say - the visa fee would be a lot less than a helicopter ride. I think the view from the Zim size is certainly worth the cost.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Yes I checked it out, the heli is about $150pp and the Zim visa for us is $75 single entry.
Time is a factor too so perhaps the best option is to arrange our transfer to Kasane via the Zim side with a stop to view the falls.

Do you know what the fee is for entry to the park on the Zim side ?
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 01:58 PM

What is the entire itinerary as your comment 'arrange our transfer to Kasane via the Zim side?'

If that is the current ZIM Visa price, sure went up since we visited. Our multi entry was only $45.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi & thanks.

Yes, Canucks pay $75 for single entry, & only single is available.

Re our itin. we arrive Livingstone Feb 13 then transfer on 14 to Kasane for 3 nights on Zambezi Queen, back to Livingstone Feb 17 to fly out to Kruger. So time at the Falls is limited. ZQ say that they can do transfers either via Zim or Zambia so my thinking is go to Zim see falls then onto Kasane & return on Zambia side.
We stay the first night at Zambezi Sun from where we can walk to view the falls.

I know it's crazy to have so little time at Vic Falls but we have been before & that's just how things worked out as we try to dovetail our travels with my brothers itin. Our trip is 2 months in Africa visiting SA, Namibia, Seychelles, Tanzania & above noted places.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 10:35 AM

Thanks for clarifying.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 12:55 PM

When I was at the falls in February, the entrance fee for the park on the Zim side was $25 USD. And yes, the view from that side is better and worth the visa and the entry fees. You can walk the path from one end to the other in about an hour.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 10:46 AM

You may not have to get a visa just tha park entry. When we were there in Jan we stayed in Zim & when we walked to the border we told the immigration we wanted a gate pass to look at the falls from the other side. He gave us a pass & over to Zam we went & back a few hours later. You may be able to do the same going from Zam to Zim. Hopefully someone will know.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 03:43 AM

The Zambia River, which creates a magnificent Victoria Falls, is the border between two countries. It is therefore possible to see fall from both countries. Depending on which can have heavily impact to your experience and to your wallet.