Backroads or Overseas Adventure Tours?

Jul 31st, 2000, 06:44 AM
Christina Feege

Backroads or Overseas Adventure Tours?

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two tours to Morocco? How are they for single travelers? What are the lodgings like?

Aug 1st, 2000, 12:23 PM
Diane

Christina -- I don't have firsthand experience of either company; I went to Morocco last fall on an adventure-travel camel trek/tour with Wilderness Travel, about which I'd be happy to share info if you like.

Generally, OAT serves a much, much older set of travellers than Backroads. You can see from the many photos of happy retirement-aged people in OAT's beautiful brochures that they are, at least subliminally, setting out to tell older travellers "you can do this!" I know that one of my mother's friends, who is almost eighty and still going strong, refuses to travel with OAT because "they're too old for me"!

I recall from my research that OAT stays at pretty well-respected hotels, and you certainly can't beat their prices.

Aug 6th, 2000, 02:33 PM
geri

I've been on two OAT tours, to Thailand and China, and on both tours there were travelers in their late 30's, but granted, the most of us are older. My first trip I was traveling alone and was paired with a great lady, with whom I went to China in June of this year. The nice thing about this company is the sixe of the groups--never more than 16. Lodgings were all fine and single travelers are very well accepted. I'm hoping to do Morocco next, or maybe India.

Aug 6th, 2000, 06:51 PM
Al

We have traveled with OAT twice and plan to go with them to Thailand early in 2001. Small groups (maximum 16), excellent guides, and fine food and lodging. Several single people with our groups, ranging in age from 25 to 75. We have had great times with these new friends and keep in touch on the Internet regularly.

Search this Thread