Reload this Page >

Booked to Egypt in Nov. still going but nervous

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 12:32 AM
gloria bunch

We have booked our airline tickets for November in Egypt. Latest events do have us in a dilemma. Although it seems everything is happening around Egypt, it still is cause for caution. I have read the posted discussions that dealt with the same concerns after the Luxor incident. Through all the pro's and con's, it seems to depend on one's own personal outlook. I do hope that maybe someone who has recently traveled to Egypt can give me some insight as to the atmosphere there. At this point we are not canceling our trip, in hopes that in two months tensions will abate. I would love to hear from others who are forging ahead with planned tour in September and October. Has anyone canceled? Also has anyone dealt with Osiris Tours? Any news and input on touring Egypt is welcomed.

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 03:20 PM
kathleen

I'm planning a trip to Egypt for the spring. I'm not deterred by recent events. I don't think anyplace is particularly safe. My general approach is not to travel with a group that is obviously American. I never wear sneakers or a fanny pack(which screams American) I know I won't pass for an Egyptian, but I plan to book plane, hotels from here and arrange for a guide there. My only stumbling block at this point is a Nile cruise. I don't want a big tour boat, but I want a little more luxury than a felluca. Any advice?

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 09:26 AM
Paula Smith

There are no guarantees that there will be no trouble in any part of the world. The Middle East was, is, and will be a <BR>volitile area. Security has increaed n Egypt but any determined terrorist can defeat any security. <BR> <BR>Try to not to be conspicuous - Nike, American Tourister. Stay at better hotels, ask the staff about areas to avoid, use taxi services from the hotels. Use common sense - if you are uncomfortable, retreat. Don't be adventurous - if you wouldn't do or go <BR>somewhere at home, don't decide to do it in Egypt. <BR> <BR>If you are really concerned, read the <BR>US State Department alerts. Check with the US Embassy in Cairo for their concerns. <BR> <BR>Right now the tourist population is down onsiderably - you should be able to see the sites with very little interference. <BR> <BR>As to tensions abating, this is a dangerous world we live in and tensions do not abate, we get used to living among them. You either adjust to life's <BR>strifes or you sit at home letting life go by.

Old Sep 28th, 1998, 04:10 PM
Laralyn

We are booked to go to Egypt in two weeks and have decided it's probably safer there than in the US! One thing we will do is dress a little more conservatively than we nomally would (no shorts, longer skirts and shirts with arms mostly covered). We figure now is probably the best time to visit because security is pretty tight. I sure understand how you feel though, after all the terrorist activity it's kind of scary...but so is driving on the freeway in L.A.!

Old Sep 28th, 1998, 04:11 PM
Laralyn

We are booked to go to Egypt in two weeks and have decided it's probably safer there than in the US! One thing we will do is dress a little more conservatively than we nomally would (no shorts, longer skirts and shirts with arms mostly covered). We figure now is probably the best time to visit because security is pretty tight. I sure understand how you feel though, after all the terrorist activity it's kind of scary...but so is driving on the freeway in L.A.!

Old Oct 2nd, 1998, 07:37 AM
Joanne

We were scheduled to take our three kids to Egypt (Cairo, Luxor, Hurgheda) over their school break in March. After much thought, we changed our plans, and will be replicating a previous trip to Paris and Rome, instead. Had it just been us, we probably would have gone. Tours are not very good for kids, because they need "up" time alternated with "down" time, and tours usually are go-go. However, tours are the safest way to go. So we didn't want to book a tour, but we didn't feel that we would all be safe alone. A client of mine was in Egypt recently, and loved the Egyptian people. She said her tour had extensive security, including vehicles in front of and behind the tour bus. She got distracted in a market, and her tour personnel was very quick to find her and bring her back to the group. My advice: GO. <BR>

Old Oct 16th, 1998, 02:57 PM
STEFAN

IīVE JUST RETURNED FROM A TRIP THROUGH EGYPT FOR 12 DAYS, AND BELIEVE ME YOU JUSTO HAVE TO GO!! IT IS A WONDERFUL PLACE, PEOPLE IS SO KIND, AND YOU FIND SECURITY ALL OVER THE PLACES. APART FROM THAT IT IS MUCH BETTER TO GO DURING THIS TIME, BECAUSE YOU CAN HAVE BETTER OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE GOOD SIGHTS IN THE PLACES, OTHERWISE, I WAS TOLD, THAT IN THE ATTRACTIONS YOU SEE MORE TOURISTS THAN WONDERFUL SCUPLTURES, PAINTINGS ETC. I STAYED IN CAIRO AT LE MERIDIEN IN THE NILE (THE BEST PLACE TO STAY, ALL THE ROOMS HAVE NILE VIEW), THEN I TOOK A NILE CRUISE (THE SHERATON IS THE BEST IN SERVICE, ETC) YOU HAVE TO GO TO ABU-SIMBEL (ITīS BREATHTAKING!!!) AND STAY IF YOU CAN IN LUXOR FOR TWO OR THREE DAYS (I COULD NOT DO IT, BUT ITīS A MUST, BECAUSE AROUND 75% OF THE TEMPLES, ETC. ARE IN LUXOR AND SURROUNDINGS (VALLEY OF KINGS, QUEENS, ARTISANS, KARNAK, DENDERA, ABYDOS, ETC.) <BR>MY ADVISE..... DONīT THINK MORE, IT IS ONE OF THE MOST WONDERFUL ATTRACTIONS IN THE WORLD, AND BY MY EXPERIENCE, ONE FEELS VERY SAFE, AND PEOPLE IS VERY KIND. TRY NOT TO LOOK SO AMERICAN (NO SHORTS AND LONG SLEEVE SHIRTS IF YOU CAN) YOUīLL HAVE A BLAST.

Old Oct 25th, 1998, 05:45 PM
Leslie

Spent 11 days in Egypt (October 1-12). Few crowds and security very evident. Stayed at Marriott in Cairo based on info received in this forum and was delighted with it. Went to Aswan, Abu Simbel and Luxor. Traveled independently in Cairo and hooked up with a tour of other Independants to take Nile cruise. Ship was "King of Thebes"( through Nabila tours) and had just been refurbished, had spacious cabins and was beautifully appointed. Service was very good. Food mediocre. Our only regret was traveling in early Oct. It was still very hot in Aswan/Luxor area. November or March would have been much more comfortable. Our guide said tourism down 70% - for us it was a pleasure not to hear tour guides shouting in 17 languages at each site. That would have been very distracting. Also, we had 5 days in Cairo and 3 would have been enough. I would rather have had an extra day in Luxor. Temple of Karnak and Abu Simbel were top spots for us! <BR>If you are on the fence about going, don't wait until the crowds are back! <BR>

Old Oct 31st, 1998, 01:17 PM
ruth

we went to israel & egypt (Luxor & cairo)in july with our 2 children (13 & 14). we were nervous but found that there was no reason to be. There is so much security everywhere. They depend on tourism & were truly devastated by what our guide called "the incident". We felt very safe and now that we're home, we look at the pictures of the pyramids and can't imagine that we thought of not going. <BR>

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 05:51 PM
Judy

Some years ago I went to Egypt believing how much they liked Americans. I dressed modestly and did not go anywhere alone at night. <BR> <BR>Men exposed themselves to me. I was almost raped outside of a tomb. My room number was given out by the man at the hotel desk. I stayed only at five star hotels. <BR> <BR>Guides are usually the creme de al creme of third world countries. The man in the street hates and fears the west. A good Egyptian women (circumsized of course) goes nowhere alone after she is married. <BR>Women are third class citizens at best if they come from anything less than the richest families in the country. <BR> <BR>President Mubarak is hanging on by the tips of his fingers and the grace of the army and the U.S. <BR> <BR>If (or sadly, when) King Hussain of Jordan dies, the middle east will be in turmoil. I would sure hate to be in Egypt when and if it occurs. <BR> <BR>There are other ,just as interesting places. <BR>What about Turkey? <BR>

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 05:52 PM
Judy

Some years ago I went to Egypt believing how much they liked Americans. I dressed modestly and did not go anywhere alone at night. <BR> <BR>Men exposed themselves to me. I was almost raped outside of a tomb. My room number was given out by the man at the hotel desk. I stayed only at five star hotels. <BR> <BR>Guides are usually the creme de al creme of third world countries. The man in the street hates and fears the west. A good Egyptian women (circumsized of course) goes nowhere alone after she is married. <BR>Women are third class citizens at best if they come from anything less than the richest families in the country. <BR> <BR>President Mubarak is hanging on by the tips of his fingers and the grace of the army and the U.S. <BR> <BR>If (or sadly, when) King Hussain of Jordan dies, the middle east will be in turmoil. I would sure hate to be in Egypt when and if it occurs. <BR> <BR>There are other ,just as interesting places. <BR>What about Turkey? <BR>