Finally! Leaving Monday for Safari.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe it's almost here. I've been lurking on this site and planning for almost a year. Our itinerary:

Arrive KJO on Thursday and meet private guide and vehicle. We're using KIBO. 3 nights at Kambi ya Tembo, a small tented camp in Sinya Wildlife Conservancy, known for its elephant herds.

then on to Arusha NP area with 2 nights at Kigongoni Lodge.

next 2 nights at Tarangire River Camp

then we spend a few hours at Lake Manyara NP on the way to Gibbs Farm for the night

next 3 nights in the serengeti at a mobile tented camp

than on to Oldupai Gorge and the Ngorongoro Serena with afternoon and morning time in the crater.

we finish at the Ngorongoro Farm House for a night before the drive back to Arusha for our flight beginning the trek home to Miami.

We're in the process of figuring out how much cash to take and where to safely carry wads of small denominations. I have a weekend of packing to do as my DH does not do his own packing. We're spending a couple of days in zurich so we need winter clothing also.

I'm still concerned about the drought. I probably shouldn't have been reading african news online as I now know that Lake Manyara is virtually dried up and "run for your lives", the armyworms are coming! Seriously, I hope some rain comes soon to alleviate the famine and devastation caused by this drought.

i'm bringing a journal and will post a trip report upon my return. thanks to all of you who have so graciously shared information in this forum.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Chiquita,

Have a wonderful safari!

Looks like you and I will be in the Serengeti at the same time. Things are looking more positive...have a look at this update of February 16th:

http://www.atta.co.uk/nomad/index.html

I also arrive next Thursday, spending one night in Arusha before starting my safari.

Are you stopping over somewhere? (you leave on Monday but don't arrive until Thursday)
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Rocco - thanks for the rainfall update. i'm sure we'll love our trip no matter what the conditions, but you know how it is - you plan for so long that you want everything to go perfectly. weather is one factor over which we have no control!

since we are flying swiss air (business class on my hoarded FF miles), we are breaking up the trip by spending a night in zurich to help combat jet lag. then as swiss doesn't fly into arusha, we spend one night at the serena in nairobi and fly to KJO the next a.m.

I'll be sure to ask around for "rocco" at all our stops! Who knows; maybe we'll run into one another. If not, have a safe trip.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Chiquita,
Have a wonderful time. Safari njema (tena?). I seem to have halted my Swahili studies...

Though you've been lurking, please do try to pop back in even if just to say, "We're back!"

The armyworm article had me all freaked out, too, but it sounds as if steps are being taken/may be taken to minimize the damage to crops, livestock and wildlife.

I bet you'll love your trip.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Hi Chiquita-
Have a great trip, I am looking forward to reading your trip report when you get back!
Lynda
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Looks like a great trip. In regards to where to stash your money, do you have a money belt? Have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Chiquita,

Safari njema.

Wear your money “everywhere” – not all of it in one place.

I’m looking forward to your report..
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Safari njema tena.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Have a great trip, Chicquita. I hope it is at least as much as you expect it to be!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Chiquita,
You are probably busy packing and checking/re-checking your list! Have a wonderful safari. Like you I have been a lurker on this board for a very long time, and my safari has been planned for well over a year. I am less than a month from departure, heading to the same areas you will be in. Looking forward to reading your trip report before my departure. Again, have a wonderful time!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Have a great time! Looking forward to hearing about the trip when you get back!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Safari njema, Chiquita!