Backing Up Images

Old Feb 9th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backing Up Images

My trusty netbook is no longer trusty, so I’m looking for another option for backing-up images. Always looking to reduce schlep weight, I’m looking at tablets, with the Nexus 7 particularly in mind (I’m not an i-guy, so no -pads, -pods or –phones in my electronic armada). My reading says transferring images from camera (Canon 7D) to the Nexus can be done by connecting the camera’s usb cable to the tablet using an OTG cable, though it seems people’s experiences vary on how successful they actually are.

If anyone has experience with transferring pics directly from Canon DSLRs to a tablet, especially android types, I’d really appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 12:32 AM

I think the issue with tablets is lack of memory. I think the max you can get on an iPad (so I assume other tablets are similar) is 64GB which may be sufficient, but not if you shoot in RAW. Higher memory models get very expensive.

Tablets are really built for internet access, and on the assumption that large amounts of data will be uploaded to cloud storage. Of course, that doesn't really work for safari, where you want your storage there at the end of a cable!

My netbook is still trusty and has a 250GB hard drive. You might be best off just getting another netbook. Although they seem to have stopped calling them "netbooks", I can see similar things around.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 08:30 AM

We use a tablet just to review photos and delete the worst, then a Wolverine device to do the backups.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Not only do they not call them netbooks but they have appear to have stopped making netbooks! I guess the tablets have led to that. I see Chromebooks, but those appear to be mainly in the 16gb range.

Many seem to like hyperdrives. I'll just have to keep thinking on this.

Thanks for the input.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:05 AM

I found several things that look like netbooks to me. 500GB hard drives, keyboards. They seem to also have touchscreens, and are now called laptops but have netbook sized screens.
HP Pavillion Touchsmart 11.6" screen (also have a 10.1 inch version)
Lenovo Flex 10.1 inch screen
ASUS Vivobook 11.6 inch screen
Acer V5-122P 11.6 inch screen
These all look like netbooks now, just they seem to be calling them "touchscreen laptops"
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:19 AM

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, I have a Nexto Backup Device - http://www.nextodiusa.com/product/eXtreme_en.html
That's all it is, a hard drive in a case with interface to download into it camera cards, USB, other. No fancy WiFi or picture display. It is small, light, uses standard 2.5 inch laptop HDD, and fast. I have a 250GB drive in mine (bought the Nexto empty case and put my own HDD in it, easy). Easy to use, nice menu interface, and fast.

regards - tom
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

SG, thanks for the heads up on those laptops. I'll take a look at them.

Tom, thanks for your post. During my research, I've come across the Nexto DI as well as the Color Space UDMA. Both of those seem to lead the field in good reviews. I just wish they were a tad less expensive. I know, gotta pay to play.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 10:45 AM

Buying the Nexto with 250 HDD installed is rather ridiculous price ($800?). I bought the empty "shell" for about $100 and put my own drive in it $50. This was about 4 years ago and I do not recall where the Nexto case came from, think from a dealer in South Korea or Malaysia.

Nope, it was HongKong!!! I just skimmed some old email and found I got it from here - http://www.howenint.com/howen/main/c...?lang=C&id=280
In 2010 bought Nexto 2700 eXtreme, no HDD, with battery, carrying case, etc for $1,350. BUT that is HKD which converts to USD $150. Then put in my own 2.5 HDD, very easy to do.

regards - tom
ps - I've been very happy with buying "stuff" from HK, China, Thailand. Typically from eBay. Never had a problem using my credit card or PayPal, everything arrives as dealer describes. But I've never bought any real $$$$$ items either.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Tom, I don't know about the Nexto case but the Color Space case goes for $250. My Acer Aspire One cost about $20 more and did a whole lot more---when it was working, duh.

I'm with you on Hong Kong purchases, having bought several items. I think the most expensive was ~$200 but it was prefectly fine. Some of the items were not just cheaper, but CHEAPER and still working fine.