Back to Africa or somewhere else???

Old Jul 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to Africa or somewhere else???

We have been to Uganda (gorilla and chimpanzee tracking) and Tanzania the last two summers and are going to Madagascar in October. We are thinking about our next trip for the summer of 2012 as it is a big birthday celebration for me. We have traveled to some amazing wildlife destinations in South America, Central America and Borneo. We would love to here some of your most amazing wildlife destinations both in Africa and in other parts of the world. We have not been to the Galapagos and while I am not really a boat person but I know a lot of people really find it a wonderful experience. If anyone has been can you give your thoughts. Any other suggestions for the big birthday(50) would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, for a total change of pace, why not think about Alaska? Denali Park, Kodiak or Katmai for bears, moose, wolves; Kenai Fjords for whales/marine mammals, out to the Pribilofs for some of the best birding in the world...?
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo.- We have thought about Alaska especially as we live in California. I know many people go on a cruise but that is definitely not what we enjoy. Any suggestions where to stay. I love the idea of flying into one of the remote places.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at Femi's report on Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka looks very, very tempting to me.

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...an-sojourn.cfm
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Leely2- that is very funny because I did read her report and we have booked a trip for February 2012 to Sri Lanka. Femi was really helpful with advice. I am really excited about it. The next trip is for the summer of 2012 and the big 50.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, that is funny. I will have to keep an eye out for your Sri Lankan report.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 12:36 PM

Happy Birthday!

I ran into a guy gorilla tracking who said the only thing he did that came close to the hour with gorillas was the Alaskan Brown Bears of Katmai.

I'd agree and suggest:

Brooks Falls where the bears fish for salmon
John Rogers Katmailand Tours out of Kodiak
Lee Robins and Trophy II out of Kodiak
Hallo Bay Wilderness Camp out of Homer (some problems there, though, after I went. Maybe resolved)

Or try India--not much else in nature compares with the tiger.

For Galapagos, consider Galapagos Travel to spend more time in the islands on a boat with 16 passengers. This company attracts people who are a little more gung-ho than the average Galapagos traveler. I've done their 2-week trips with 11 days in the islands and they have a longer trip too. I think it was Wilderness Travel in CA (or else it was Mountain Sobek) that just sent me a catalog with 15 days in the islands of the Galapagos.

Though I have not been, Sri Lanka has been coming on strong as a wildlife destination.

Wanna join me for the migrating fruit bats in Zambia--maybe as soon as Nov 2012?

If you liked the gorillas, try chimp tracking in Uganda or Tanzania. You could do forest walks with young chimps at Ngamba in Lake Victoria off of Entebbe. Wowie Zowie! But you need lots of medical documentation and tests in advance that can prove costly. I volunteered for even more time with the chimps.

Speaking of volunteering, consider volunteering at Wolong, the panda sanctuary--very cool. Cokesmith did a report on tracking wild pandas nearby in China, something that would nicely complement a more captive volunteer experience.

In the sea, try swimming with WILD spotted dolphins in the Bahamas that come and go at their own choosing and no food is used to entice them. These trips were boat-based. The companies I went with are no longer around but lots of options. Or stay on shore and swim with whale sharks (completely safe--they eat plankton) in Holbox, Mexico. The whale sharks might be the least expensive getaway and if that's all you do, you only need about 4 nights for a quick escape. Experienced divers I went with who have dived all over the world said this snorkel trip with the whale sharks was one of the best trips they ever did.

For more info, let me know and I'll post some report links.

What a terrific dilemma. The losers in this contest can go on the back burner for the next year, and the next, and the next...
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM

Oh, you've already booked Sri Lanka. So take that out of the hopper.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Gardyloo.- We have thought about Alaska especially as we live in California. I know many people go on a cruise but that is definitely not what we enjoy. Any suggestions where to stay. I love the idea of flying into one of the remote places.

In addition to the suggestions from atravelynn above, I'd suggest you google around a little for lodges in Lake Clark National Park. There are a number of fly-in operations that are quite comfortable and which have access to floatplanes for fishing, flightseeing or game viewing expeditions, set in some of the best scenery in the state. If time and finances permit, base yourselves in some place like that for maybe 3 or 4 days, just to get a sense of the wilderness.

I'd also heartily endorse a trip to the Pribilof islands of St. Paul and/or St. George, located in the middle of the Bering Sea. Amazing colonies of fur seals, whales in the water nearby, and some of the best bird viewing going, not to mention some pretty interesting human history too. http://www.stpaultour.com/ Or, visit the Aleutians - Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, for example. Maybe travel one way by air, the other by state ferry - see, for instance, http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/route_guide.shtml - scroll down to "Southwest Alaska" for Aleutian services.

(A note - the Pribilofs are expensive to get to, unless you have/buy some Alaska Airlines FF miles; you can redeem 15,000 miles for a flight out to the Pribilofs on PenAir from Anchorage - amazing value, or use Alaska itself if you want to go to Unalaska.)

Not sure how long you'd have, but with two or more weeks you could see quite a lot of the state off the road system, i.e. the parts most tourists never see.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 04:15 PM

www.guanguiltagua.com

Galapgos with EcoVentura cruises amazing for me last fall

huaorani.com Awesome Amazon HeadHunter/Shrinker Hotel/Lodge

Climb Cotopaxi second tallest mountain on earth

measured from the center of the earth.

incalandadventures.com with Flavio awesome to Machu Picchu

Happy Researching!
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I am really going to look into Alaska. For some reason I always feel that going further away is better but after 30 hours getting to Madagascar and 28 hours to Sri Lanka, Alaska might be the perfect trip for next summer. We actually did the chimp tracking in Uganda and I loved it. I am not ruling out the Galalapagos but would love to see how people rank it compared to other trips that they have been on.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Since you are leaning toward Alaska, I'll mention Round Island for the walruses.

Since Gardyloo mentioned Lake Clark. In Lake Clark, I stayed at this award winning place.
http://www.greatalaska.com/pages/lodge/44.php

Could not get as close to the bears as the other places, but I've never seen 40 in one meadow anywhere else.

I'm a Kodiak fan. Bears, whales, puffins, otters, hiking, kayaking--all without the need of your own car.

If you switch forums, keep us posted with a link.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

atravelynn-I am open to any suggestions. I definitely want to look at Alaska but am really open up any wonderful experience that would include wonderful wildlife, scenery and good lodging. We have at least two weeks and can really go anywhere. I would just really like to go somewhere that I have not been to.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 08:05 AM

Dear Lhgreenacres: For what it's worth I've been to both Southern Africa, Tanzania and the Galapagos twice and I'd highly recommend going the Galapagos especially if you have a strong interest in birds and/or reptiles. In my view if you go you should really travel to do a cruise in a small vessel (usually about 16 passengers) which does not have a "cruise ship" feel at all. All that you've read about the wildlife being unafraid of people is absolutely true - you could (but are not allowed to) reach out a touch most of it. As well the snorkeling is outstanding - often with a chance to swim with wild fur seals (who love to "play chicken" by swimming directly at you).

Also you should remember that Ecuador also has many many attractions including the Andes mountains, cloud forests and amazon basin wilderness camps in additions to a very interesting colonial city (Quito)- all within a fairly compact country.

Have a great trip whatever you decide. Bill
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM

Alaska would fit your criteria well. Maybe Botswana and/or Namibia, if you have not been to those.

What about Antarctica? That would be different and very special. Can't comment personally.

I'd suggest polar bears near Hudson Bay in Manitoba in late Oct, but the scenery is often nice not spectacular (a lot depends on the lighting) and I don't know if there is high end lodging available, but certainly very adequate and comfortable and warm enough despite frigid temps outside. Maybe White Whale Lodge. I stayed in the old one but it burned down days after I left. I think the rebuilt one is more upscale.

Ranking Galapagos--Because I did trips that spent adequate days in the Galapagos (11 on the islands) and included a lot of snorkeling and even kayaking, I rank Galapagos right up there with any nature destination. I am actually considering a 3rd visit, most likely with Galapagos Travel. What you can do in the Galapagos, but not other places is linger right next to the animals without upsetting them. There is an intimacy there. Even the fact that there are other people with you does not diminish the intimacy because you can spread out and you are not marching through. There's no, "Move along folks, let's get going. Keep it moving." True, you have to stay together and cannot wander way ahead or behind on your own, nor can you step off the paths. But the pace is very slow with lots of stopping.

There is a lot of interpretation and discussion of what you are seeing in the evenings on the boat. You learn a lot.

If you want to fully partake in the many land and water activities--sometimes 4 per day and usually 3--that's a trip to do when you are at an age where you have enough energy. There are Galapagos trips with only land visits that are less strenuous, but if you don't snorkel you miss things like reef sharks, hammerhead sharks, sea turtles, bottled nose dolphins swimming through, underwater views of marine iguanas, baby sea lions coming over to play with you, penguins swimming nearby. None of these can be guaranteed but on my 2 trips, all this happened in the water, and more.

Qwovadis suggests climbing Cotapaxi pre-Galapagos. You can easily visit this volcano on a first day to Quito and I'd advise arriving a day early for any cruise. The scenery is lovely, there are some Incan ruins, and wild horses (there's your wildlife). I did not climb up the mountain, beyond a few hundred feet just for the heck of it. Instead I stayed on the ground where the horses were.

Since you mentioned you are not a boat fan (I think I saw that) there was a company that did Galapagos trips with more time on land. The company is Inca. I looked into them and decided I wanted to get around more in the boat, but their trips were good.

Is there a particular month you wish to travel or can it be any month of the year?
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

atravelynn- We are really open to anytime. My birthday is in September but we are flexible. We are going to Sri Lanka in February 2012 so it will have to be at the earliest probably the summer. I do not know what is the best time to visit the Galapagos. We have visited Ecuador and loved it. We are really rainforest junkies so went to a lodge on Napo river and absolutely loved it. We also went to Otavalo as well and did some wonderful hikes. We have not been to Mindo for birding or Cotapaxi which I heard was beautiful so perhaps a trip to the Galapagos and some other parts of Ecuador would be great. I also really like the suggestion of a small boat but any issues with sea sickness. I have read that the small the boat the more easily it is to get sea sick. It was funny when we were in Ecuador we were the only people who did not go to the Galapagos. I am going to explore the Galapagos option as it would be something very different than what we have done. We do enjoy snorkelling and are actually going to the Maldives when we are going to Sri Lanka so being able to snorkel with the sea life sounds amazing.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 03:43 PM

Here's what's on my wishlist:

Africa

Namibia- for Etosha, Skeleton Coast and Sossusvlei

Zimbabwe- for a return visit. Loved the people and the elephants of Hwange

Botswana- Maybe a cruise on the Zambezi queen combined with safari

Madagascar and Uganda. You've already taken care of those destinations.

Malawi - midway down my list.

Sao Tome and Principe- I just like the way they sound!

Asia

Mongolia- for culture. Visiting herder families and learning about golden eagles would substitute for wildlife.

Sri Lanka- Check. I'm strongly considering a return visit.

India- wildlife tour with andbeyond and visits to Periyar and other reserves

Burma- At least one more visit. More for the culture than wildlife.

Americas

Alaska-for the bears at Katmai http://www.withinthewild.com/lodges/tutka-bay/

(Ecuador) Galapagos- a little lower down on my list for the same reasons you mention. Here's one outfitter on my list: http://www.galapagossafaricamp.com/
I'm interested in the cruise + tented camp + Hamadryade combo
I'm currently looking into a possible Napo river cruise.

Peru- Macchu Pichu, Lake Titicaca and an Amazonian river cruise on one of the luxury boats

Brazil- for the Pantanal. I think you may have already been?

Chile- A tour that includes the Explora lodges in the Atacama desert, Easter Island and Patagonia.

Antartica- somewhere lower down on the list

And that's just for starters! It was fun putting this together
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Just saw your post on another thread about a trip to private reserves in South Africa.

South Africa is a fantastic destination, I've got my fourth trip in three years fast approaching. I guess I didn't add it to my lists above because it seemed so 'routine' , LOL!

You could consider a trip to Cape Town Combined with stays in/around Kruger and one other location. Maybe even a trip to Botsawana or Zim (Vic Falls). You'll be spoilt for choice.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM

Just for starters, Femi? Periyar, hmmm. Nice suggestion.

You're an Ecuador expert lhgreenacres!

Seasickness--July through Nov are generally rougher seas. My Aug trip was rockier than my April trip. But over the counter Bonine has always saved the day for me in the Galapagos, on other boats, in cars, anywhere. I can't go to Imax because I get nauseated. Can't do a merry-go-round without being queasy.

Quote from a Galapagos website: “The months of December through May tend to offer the calmest seas. If you are prone to getting seasick it is best to plan your vacation during these months. Late August and the month of September tend to have the roughest seas, though this is a good time to visit the islands, people who suffer from extreme cases should avoid traveling during these months.” This coincides with my personal experience of bigger waves in early August than late April.
Link to rain and sun in Galapagos :
http://www.junglephotos.com/galapago.../climate.shtml

Strange as it may seem, in the Galapagos usually the rainiest months are also the sunniest. During the rainier months of Dec to June it rains, then clears up. In the "dry season" running July to Nov there is often a stagnant mist called garula. So it is misty but the mist does not yield much actual precipitation.

I was there in August and often wore a windbreaker. In April there were days when it was uncomfortably hot. Snorkeling was warmer in April than August, but every guest wore a wetsuit on every snorkel regardless of the month. We saw more sea turtles while snorkeling in April than August.

On both trips I’ve questioned guides and those in the know on what month they prefer. The consensus is November due to the weather conditions and the fact that fewer people travel then, especially as it nears Thanksgiving.

From a wildlife aspect. Jan, Feb, Mar are the months when the Waved Albatross are out to sea and not on the islands.

The other time that has frequently been mentioned, as one to avoid, is the Christmas holiday. The reason is that the guides have found the emphasis is on festivities and family bonding rather than wildlife. They have said something like, “If you are coming for the best wildlife viewing experience you can forget Christmas. Just stay home. It is crowded and people just want to party. Lots of families travel together at this time and with a lot of kids on board, the focus shifts away from wildlife.” Just passing on what I heard.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Atravelynn-I am going to look into November in Galapagos as a possibility. Which boat did you go on for the trip? They are unfortunately changing the regulations and can not do the same itineraries as they did before? Were there any islands that you would highly recommend. Also I noticed you did a walking safari in Zambia. Do you have a trip report for that trip? Our major problem now is that we just need to be retired and have lots of money so that the timing is not a problem. We are coming back from Sri Lanka and Maldives in the middle of March and that is a three week trip so if will be difficult to go again in May to Galapagos as that would be a good time I think to visit. My mom is coming with us and I really want to try to pick a time where the seas would at least have a chance of being a little less rough. Ideally we were looking at the summer of 2012 but maybe we can go to Alaska in the summer and then the Galapagos in November. Thanks to everyone for all the help and input.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -