Back from Zimbabwe- One of the best Trips!!!!

Sep 20th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Back from Zimbabwe- One of the best Trips!!!!

We just returned from Zimbabwe and wanted all the Fodorites and Africa lovers to really consider Zimbabwe as an amazing Safari destination. The experience of walking with probably the best and knowledgable guides we have ever had made this a once in a lifetime trip. We visited Hwange, Matusadona and Mana Pools as well as Victoria Falls. The trip was organized by Doug MacDonald who was beyond wonderful and personally guided us for our 7 nights in Mana Pools. I can not highly recommend him enough. He had the best sense of humor and was cautious when he needed to be and we never felt unsafe even when we were sitting with a lot pride of lions a stone through away or sitting under a tree where I thought the elephant was going to touch me or having a mama and baby rhino just a few feet again as we watching the baby nurse. The experience of following tracks and discovering the animals was a whole other levlel of safari experience, dirtier for sure, but unforgettable. I also will say that for all you elephant lovers, Hwange had elephants, elephants and more elephants, up close and personal especially at Somalisa where they came and drank out of the old swimming pool as we sat about five feet away. We we a little hesitant about choosing Zimbabwe initially but I can only say that now I could probably have my picture on the travel poster to See Zimbabwe!
Sep 20th, 2012, 10:05 AM

Where did you stay in Mana Pools? ZZ
Sep 20th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

We stayed at Little Vundu and Chitake Springs. We had the whole camp at Little Vundu to ourselves with our guide which made for a really differerent experience than being at camp with other people. Same at Chitake as well.
Sep 20th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Glad to hear you fell in love with Zim just like I did
Sep 20th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Hopefully you'll be posting pictures again? Please?
Sep 20th, 2012, 08:06 PM

I agree that Zim is a great destination! I was last there in 2010 and loved it.
Sep 21st, 2012, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Femi- I will definitely post pictures. As we are so close I am so happy with what I was able to capture in photographs. I have some amazing pictures of a mama and baby rhino that are adorable.

I really can not say how much I enjoyed this trip and really would encourage others to consider Zimbabwe.
Sep 21st, 2012, 06:33 AM

Did you pick up any information on how Ruckomechi is doing? ZZ
Sep 21st, 2012, 08:02 AM

Zimbabwe is and always will be a great Safari destination. Pity about the politics which has kept many guests away. I also say go to Zimbabwe if you want an incredible safari experience in Hwange and Mana Pools.

Yours on Safari
Mark
Taga Safaris Africa
Sep 21st, 2012, 12:59 PM

I am so looking forward to our Zim safari next month...obviously I will report back too.
Sep 22nd, 2012, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

uhoh_busted-Where are you going in Zimbabwe next month?

Search this Thread