Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

migration specials serengeti: seasonal camps vs private mobile camping fixed departures

Search

migration specials serengeti: seasonal camps vs private mobile camping fixed departures

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,,, I am going to serengeti and have found some fixed departures which concentrate on the migration in the month of March..
Which would be better, booking at seasonal camps(provided u get bookings) or going on
fixed departures for superb wildlife viewing..
Also if anybody knows of a migration special in March can u pls post on the web
Sonali.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Hello Sonali,

I'd definitely go with seasonal camps -- fixed departures are just too inflexible, and in additon to being in a tour group you'll probably get stuck with a huge single supplement as well. Tour groups also tend to use the larger, hotel-like lodges like Serena and Sopa, rather than the smaller, more intimate camps.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Hello everybody, wanted to post this back on the top.

Has anybody travelled with unique safaris, deeper africa, origin safaris, naipenda safaris, amazing tanzania etc pls let me know how thier migration specials are???

Eben I really wish u read this post, Sonali
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Hi Sonali

I've had a few beers (it's Superbowl day) so excuse my rambling!

With Nomad you have to use their cars and guides. Their tents are a bit basic nowadays and you have to check where your camps are (they are competing with plenty of newcomers - even CCA - for prime spots) but their guides are EXCELLENT and you will have a private car!

With Sayari you can arrive with your own guide and car or use theirs on a shared basis. The tents are wonderful and their Mara location is fantastic but I am not crazy about their Piaya spot - we'll see in March as this is their first time there.

You will have to spend time in Ndutu so Nomad or Olakira are top choices with the edge going to Nomad in my opinion. I have some doubts about EMC after my stay in December and waiting to hear more opinions from fellow Fodorites.

CCA camps may not be ready yet at Ndutu in March.

Unique Safaris tend to have a good eye for prime camp sites and their camps look good but I have not used them. Sanctuary lodges also have some good-looking camps.

Naipenda and plenty of others still use the old military green tents and cannot be compared with the ones mentioned above.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a million Eben, then I will stick to nomad, I hope I get bookings, Sonali.