Search

Back from MalaMala, Sabi Sands, South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back from MalaMala, Sabi Sands, South Africa

Hi everyone

Just over a week home from just over 4 weeks at MalaMala. Had a fantastic time even though the weather was pretty dreadful, though nowhere near as bad as the flooding we got at home. One of the highlights that comes to mind was the cheetah viewing this time - the same six, but on many gamedrives - 4 brothers and a female and her female subadult, no cheetah last time and one single male the visit before, so this was awesome as had not seen these boys before. Many firsts including mating rhino, mating white-tailed mongoose and a nursing rhino baby!

Trying to upload photos now, but have run out of memory so need to have someone look at that for me, then I shall be putting up some photos if anyone is interested.

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM

Great to hear you had a good time and look forward to seeing your pics in due course.
Best, Rob.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Glad you were present for so many Cheetah sightings. I am looking at going to Tanzania in June with my neice (thanks for the idea). Have you been up that way before? Any thoughts would be appreciated. FYI-had a great trip to Australia in November-
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Hi Kaye,

Sounds like another incredible Mala Mala trip! I will be interested in photos and hearing more about the trip.

I did have a question for you - if memory serves, you've done the Mashatu/Mala Mala combo before and stayed somewhere half way (Pafuri?). I think you were doing a self drive, correct?

I'm actually in the early planning stages for 2013 and I'm trying to find transfers because I really don't want to drive myself...just wondering where a good stopping point would be - or if it might be cheaper to do a land transfer from Mashatu to JNB and then fly from JNB to Mala Mala. Any thoughts?

I will be alone this time (thank God!) so I really can't afford the private charter flight between Mashatu and Mala Mala. Yes, I know it's early to be planning but I need to make sure I get the best rates I can as a single and a lot of places only have one spot (like Mala Mala). I anticipate having to book no later than January of 2012 or as soon as the camps have the 2013 rates up. I'm combining the Mashatu/Mala Mala combo (4 nights at each) with a few nights at the Skeleton Coast and Dunes in Namibia.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

~CJ
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM

Kaye-

Welcome back! Speaking of Mala Mala, 2 MM rangers who are good friends of mine were just in town here in Houston, as they are driving across country on a 4-month road trip. Matt Meyer and John Richardson.

Anyway, who was your ranger this time? I am looking forward to photos!

Andy
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 07:34 PM

Kaye, since I wrote the above, I have decided to spend all my time at Mala Mala instead of going to Mashatu (this time!) so no need to answer. However, I do still hope to hear about your trip and see photos!
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 07:14 PM

Welcome back!

Re: the cheetahs, it seems as though the uncles are looking out for their niece. What was said about this family arrangement, which is not a typical one?