Back from Jordan safe and sound, great trip.

Feb 16th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Back from Jordan safe and sound, great trip.

Just wanted to report in (as promised) that we're back safe and sound from Jordan.

Will report back over the next week about the trip.
Feb 16th, 2003, 12:03 PM
LizFrazier

Thanks Kavey.
I've been thinking of you all weekend. So relieved. I'll be watching for more on the subject of travel to the Middle East. Liz

Feb 17th, 2003, 01:32 AM

Hello Kavey.
Good to hear, you're back safe. I am really looking forward to hear more. Jordan has been on my list for a while already. Hope to make it ...some day...
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Welcome back, Kavey. I am happy that you were able to go on your trip, that your husband was well enough and that you returned safe and sound. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

We enjoyed our short trip to Jordan in 2000 but as we went in summer, it got too hot to appreciate it.I trust you had better weather.

How did you find the general mood of the population?
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Sad that recent political events are resulting in such low visitor numbers.

Keen not to get involved in an Iraq-based war.

Incredibly hospitable and friendly people. Many times we were offered tea/ coffee and knew full well that it was a tourist thing - that guests would feel obliged to leave a JD or two in return. But equally likely were the encounters when tea was offered as genuine friendship, enjoyed over political discussion and then any payment adamantly refused.

Proud - the people are rightly proud of a nation which has one of the most highly educated population anywhere in the world, a great medical care system, and people with a strong work ethic.

Proud - the country has so much to offer - we went for Petra, we also fell head over heels with Wadi Rum, and were blown away by Jerash, not to mention a myriad other incredible historic sites.

Weather was not wonderful all the way through - the first day was such dense fog that we actually couldnt make out Ajlun fort from the outside at all and driving was quite hairy. We also had a couple of days of rain and the temperatures were pretty cool for the first 4 days or so.

Our visit to the Dead Sea was during one of those cooler days but we stripped down to cossies and braved the sea anyway - we've no idea when/ if we'll return to the spot again, though we would like to return to Petra and Wadi Rum in particular.

The weather for our full day in Petra was just right - sunny and great light but cool enough to enjoy walking around.

Wadi Rum gave us the first warm day it had seen for some time and we enjoyed the sun and blue blue skies.

Aqaba offered the hot sunny weather we expected of it.
Feb 18th, 2003, 01:33 AM

Kavey,
Thanks for the report. I've been thinking of you. I almost feared it wouldn't be that warm yet. But then, you might have preferred that anyway. Nothing worse than sightseeing with real hot (and sticky) weather.
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the report, Kavey. Will you provide a link to some of your pictures? That would be so neat.
Feb 18th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

I certainly will and also a report back on what we visited etc.
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Photos ready.

Please email me for link as I don't want to post this site's link to the net.
kavey

[email protected]

Search this Thread