back from Abu Simbel

Oct 9th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

back from Abu Simbel

somewhere i read that seeing abu simbel is a must. i would not recommend it for two reasons: when i took the flight from cairo to abu simbel, i had a 4:30am departure on egypt air. there was no other choice, i checked it twice. this means getting up at 2:30 am... once i arrived at abu simbel, there were hundreds and hundreds of people, which took away the enjoyment of the things to see. after 90 minutes at the temple i was with everybody else back in the bus to the airport...
i later met a couple which stayed a night at a hotel nearby and went to see the temple in the afternoon. they were all the time by themselves except some guards.
Oct 10th, 2003, 03:52 AM
sandi

The reason most people go early is that it gets extremely hot at Abu Simbel and from there most people return to Aswan to board their Nile Cruise boats in time for lunch.

On the otherside, you can always go the day before your Nile Cruise starts and stay overnite in Abu Simbel - you'd take a mid-afternoon flight South and stay overnight. And yes, there are less people you do this because if kind of breaks up the time in Cairo or even Luxor the day you fly South. Likewise you can do the AS at the end of your cruise at either Luxor or Aswan and spend the last night at AS and then return to Cairo the following day. But again, most people prefer to do it as early in the day as possible because of the heat.

Alot depends on how the tour operator arranges this for you - or how one arranges it for themselves, but you have to know your options before hand.

When we went to AS, we too made an early morning flight 6am, being up and leaving our hotel early for the airport. Our flight went direct from CAI to Abu Simbel (some planes stop in Aswan then continue to AS). Our B737 had about 200 people, but once we got to the site, people seemed to disperse to be with language specific guides and each group went separate ways. Yes, there were a few minutes when the temples were crowded, but folks moved quickly and we had no trouble taking photos indoors and outside without many people in the pics.

I'm sorry that you encountered so many individual travelers versus groups and that you didn't have prior advise for the option of traveling to AS the day prior, or at conclusion of your Cruise.

Oct 31st, 2003, 04:33 AM
Anubis

Sorry to disagree with Ebenezer but Abu Simbel is not to be missed. Planes are always full but if you elect to skip the tour guides once there and just visit different places before or after everybody else you can have a great time. I have videos and photos of both tombs and the outside with nobody else in them by doing it this way. It does become breathtakingly hot there during the day, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Nov 1st, 2003, 11:54 AM

The day and evening we spent at Abu Simbel were incredible experiences. The nighttime sound and light show was the highlight of my trip to Egypt. Recommend taking the afternoon flight, seeing the evening light show, staying overnight and leaving the next day. Sorry you did not enjoy yourself. This advice holds true for Machu Picchu, too. Have to visit these great places when most of the crowds have left or not gotten there, yet.

Search this Thread