Back from 8 weeks in Africa

Aug 14th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

Back from 8 weeks in Africa

Hi,

I returned on Sunday from a wonderful 8 weeks in Africa. I'm delighted to report that there were no problems and that everyone had a good time.

It will take me a while to get the trip report together and sort photos, however I have already made a start. Hope to have something posted in 3-4 weeks when I am back at home and the computer has been upgraded.

Highlights: (there were so many)

3 of the Big 5 on the Crater rim as we drove to the Sopa late one afternoon - leopard, buffalo and elephant

Serval as we descended into the Crater early one morning

'Small creatures day' in Tarangire

Two day old giraffe in Ruaha

Male lion with buffalo kill and later a crocodile kill in Ruaha

Territorial dik-diks in Ruaha

Saw 55 separate lions on the Northern Circuit and 56 on the Southern Circuit in Tanzania

Meerkats and brown hyena pups in Magkadagadi

CKGR - the game and predators were still in the valley due to the late rains. Healthy sightings of lion, honey badgers, bat-eared fox and a Cape Fox.

Mashatu - I echo the recent comments of Skimmer and others - this is a top place. Birds were good, leopards and cheetah and I was lucky to see the wild dogs.

Hobatere - excellent bird sightings on a 3 hour game drive with Steve Braine. Lovely concession with good populations of Mountain Zebra and oryx. Saw an African wildcat, porcupines, chameleon and large spotted genet on a night game drive. The resident pride of lions add a certain spice to early morning walks to the Lodge.

Etosha - lived up to my memories with black rhino at Okaukeujo waterhole, a young oryx (I'd not seen one this young before) zebra, mating lions and a rock monitor (another first for me).

Bye for now,

Pol

Aug 14th, 2008, 03:02 AM

Welcome back! Looking forward to the report!
Aug 14th, 2008, 02:40 PM

OUTRAGOUSLY extensive - JEALOUS!!!
we3lcome back!

div
Aug 14th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Hi Pol and welcome home. I am eagerly awaiting your report and photos. Sounds fantastic--how lucky you are!
Aug 14th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Eight weeks of good times--Wow!

Your highlights are enticing.

Welcome back!
Aug 15th, 2008, 08:17 AM

Welcome back. This one is going to be really interesting. You have to start with Ruaha, though - please

Dik-diks are surprisingly aggressive!
Aug 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kimburu,

I thought of you in Selous when we drove down the Lake Manze Camp road and around the lake. However, we didn't see the lodge, although there were some baboons that had been stealing food scraps from somewhere, maybe the Lodge.

I know you are heading out sometime in September so if you have any questions on Ruaha feel free to email me at treepolatgmaildotcom.

I'll be 'hot-desking' for the next few weeks from family and friends computers before I get back to my computer and photo editing and sorting.

Cheers,

Pol
Aug 16th, 2008, 12:54 AM

Can't wait!!!
Aug 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Welcome back!

I'm in SYD right now on my way to DPO. See you on Tuesday!