Baby elephant crossing road going unnoticed?

Jan 13th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Baby elephant crossing road going unnoticed?

A really sad article. I could understand if it was a squirrel, or some kind of smaller animal but when a group of eles cross a road, I think one would notice them and slow down enough to not injure any while they cross. Poor little thing!

http://allafrica.com/stories/200601120807.html
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:35 AM

divewop:

I too was extremely moved by this sad story. The section of road where this happened is good and trucks and buses really hustle through that area, particularly at night so I can see where it is possible. The elephants not only have to worry about the highway, but a number of them have been hit (some killed) crossing the railroad tracks. I saw two bulls at Tsavo who were cripped and was told that they had both been hit by the train two years previously.

After reading the article I was at first angry over the natives slashing the baby elephants body and taking the meat. Then I had to remind myself that there is a severe famine going on in Kenya now and it may be the only good meal these people have for a long time. I thus had to modify my thinking.

Have read that many of the animals have disappeared - going long distances from their normal range in order to try to find food. Thus when I get there in a week I don't know what to expect. Perhaps there won't be many animals to see this time. Am also wondering if the lodges and camps are having trouble obtaining food. There are no better vegetables than those one normally gets in Kenya. Perhaps those will be missing this time. One week to go and I'll find out.
Jan 14th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Good luck over there. Have a wonderful trip. You are our eyes and ears for the well-being of the eles in those areas. Please keep us posted.

There seems to be no end in sight with droughts and famines in Kenya and the surrounding countries in Africa. The problems are getting worse and worse. I just hate seeing the animals fall victim to struggles and diseases of human overpopulation.

It is a shame that more respect isn't given toward the eles though. They, like the great apes, seem to have such strong family bonds and are much smarter than given credit for. They could probably teach humans a thing or two if we'd only give them half a chance. In a perfect world...

Search this Thread