Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > BA flight from Victoria Falls connecting in JNB to SAA - 2 hrs 55 min

BA flight from Victoria Falls connecting in JNB to SAA - 2 hrs 55 min

Dec 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

BA flight from Victoria Falls connecting in JNB to SAA - 2 hrs 55 min

Hello All,

I'm worried about a connection I have from Victoria Falls on BA connecting in JNB to an SAA flight back to Washngton DC, arrrving in Terminal B and departing in Terminal A. 2 hours 55 min.

Does anyone have experience with this BA flight? The stats say it's only on time 58% of the time. Avg 20 minutes late. I'm considering only taking carry on for this trip to avoid having to collect bags in JNB. How long does this normally take? If I do miss the SAA connections, how sympathethic are they when rebooking since my original flight was on a different airline?

Thanks for any advise.
Dec 9th, 2012, 07:43 AM

I had no problem making this connection but my BA flt was on time-even had plenty of time to pick up our stored luggage at JNB and do some repacking.
Dec 9th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've read that if you only have carry on you don't have to go through immigration and can walk straight to your next gate. Is this true? I'll have to switch from B to A if that makes a difference.
Dec 10th, 2012, 05:17 AM

Hopefully you may be able to check your bags through to your final destination. Not sure how the current rules work though. Call BA and SAA. If you cannot check your bags all the way through, carry on only would be the better option.

I've had different experiences with international connections through JNB (on partner airlines). Sometimes it's a breeze and I walk straight through. Another time there must have been several planes landing at once and the lines (immigration and security) were very long.

With all that being said, I think your chances are good for a transfer within your given timeframe.

Search this Thread