Awesome trip! Kenya & Tanzania Part III

Oct 7th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Susan

Awesome trip! Kenya & Tanzania Part III

The Selous Game Reserve is one of the largest, if not the largest, on the continent. It is about the size of the state of Ohio and is spectacular. Because hunting is still allowed in a vast majority of the reserve, the animals are understandably more skittish. Having said that, the Selous offers a wide range of activities that you really can't do elsewhere. You can walk on foot with an armed ranger, take a river trip to Steigler's Gorge, fish or do nothing. The terrain is very bushy, even in the dry season. We saw several lion cubs, lionesses, elephants, buffalo, giraffe, warthog, impala, etc. A highlight of our three night stay was having the opportunity to track a lion who made a kill at a nearby lake. It was great fun following the tracks and drag markings. We also had a blast sharing the water with hippo and crocodiles. From the Rufiji River you can watch a plethora of wildlife come for water. We stayed at Sand Rivers, which was very luxurious and comfortable. Picnic breakfasts and lunches are available, and at night everyone sits at one huge table and discusses the days events. I really liked Selous, even though the wildlife is more difficult to see. Unlike the Mara's wide open plains, Selous has a lot of folliage. But I felt like I was the only person in the reserve, since we never saw another vehicle on any of our game drives. We watched a lone lioness from about 10 feet away as she drank water and relaxed in the sunshine. There was not another vehicle around. We studied three lion cubs who had been left alone while the rest of the pride went hunting. There was not another vehicle around. We were the only boat on the river when a large, male hippo charged. That's an adrenaline rush I'll tell you!!!! Selous is a fantastic place and I would gladly return. Throughout our journey, we did not encounter one snake and were not mauled by mosquitoes or tsetse flies. In fact, we never got one bite. I would be happy to answer any questions that anyone may have.

Oct 7th, 2002, 06:51 AM
lisa

Susan -- I enjoyed parts 2 & 3 of your report but where is part 1?

Oct 7th, 2002, 07:14 AM
ss

It would be helpful to post all the parts in one thread, by posting the successive parts as replies.

Search this Thread