Avoid giraffe on the runway...

Jan 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Avoid giraffe on the runway...

While editing my posts for the "Sankuyo Plain Camp" thread (http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...4&tid=35099115) I remembered the photo of Tico McNutt's 'runway accident'.

Caution: this is not for the faint-hearted!

www.maxho.com/lj/zhiraf_bg.jpg

The original photo and story can be found in Tico's Field Report October 2004, http://www.save-the-african-wild-dog...dnotes2004.doc
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Poor giraffe. How could the pilot NOT see him/her on the runway? Sad!
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

How do all the wildlife accidents on our roads happen? Certainly not because the animals are just standing there...
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM

point taken nyama. I wasn't thinking that the giraffe might have been moving...long day.
Jan 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Sickening.

It is almost impossible to avoid animals in such circumstances. I've had a kangaroo jump in front of my car (my speed 70 mph) and there was no way I could avoid it. Fortunately, the roo ducked and went under (fatally) instead of being scooped up and ending in my lap and possibly eviscerating me with its hind feet.

I've seen a small herd of cattle bloated and scattered all over a roadway after encountering a huge Northern Territory road train whose driver could not have stopped in a fit.

John

Jan 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM

I wrote somewhere else on the forum about elephants hit by trains in Sri Lanka. In the last year alone we had two incidents.

There is a famous female in Kaudulla NP nicknamed "Kane Hilla" (hole in ear) probably from a gunshot wound. She has become very aggressive and charges tourists vehicles and smashed atleast 5 in the past few months. It is an accident waiting to happen she will probably have to be eliminated to make make wayt for safe tourism. Reson she has become so aggressive was because her calf was hit by a truck and died.