Average cost for Private safari in November

Apr 9th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Average cost for Private safari in November

We (4 members of the family) like to cover following Game Parks in Kenya and Tanzania by Private Safari in November,

Amboseli
Ngorongoro Crater
Serengeti
Maasai Mara

All travels by land and Accommodation in the choices of Sopa / Sarena lodge.

What will be the average cost per person per day can i expect?

Thanks for all your experienced input.
Apr 9th, 2011, 05:03 AM

Im going to throw out a very ballpark $300/pppd for a 4 person sharing private safari. Depending on your exact logistics, changes to camps from lodges for location, flights vs overland, that number can go up or down
Apr 9th, 2011, 11:16 AM

There is no "average" cost, but November is mid-season rates (in Kenya) and hi-season (im Tanzania). And priced accordingly. Sopa and Serena Lodges are in the mid-priced range with Sopa being the lower priced ones.

My question though to you... how many total days? how many days at each area? is this the routing? From Amboseli, to Ngorongoro, to Serengeti, then the Masai Mara, before returning to Nairobi? If so, know those are some very very very long transit times by road.

Estimates are:
Nairobi/Amboseli = 4-4.5/hrs
Amboseli/Ngorongoro (w/stop for lunch in Arusha) = 8+/hrs
Ngorongoro/Serengeti (assuming to Central) = 3-3.5/hrs
Serengeti/Masai Mara (via Lake Victoria as there is no direct crossing by land) = 10+/hrs (that's like 1/day lost)
Masai Mara/Nairobi = 5/hrs.

You'll need Visas for both countries, as well Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry to/from/between Kenya/Tanzania.

While the cost of guide/vehicle in both countries will be split between the 4/paxs, the others costs for rooms will be based on whether double/shared occupancy or if any are singles (where single supplement applies) and the daily park fees which vary from park-to-park, based on per person.

Sure hope you're allowing at least 3/nts each Serengeti and Masai Mara and take into account that the long stretches in transit take away from actual game viewing. Amboseli deserves 2/nts and you can get away with 1/nt at Ngorongoro, but after that long drive from Amboseli, you might want another here.

Have you already requested prices? To more than one company? What kind of prices are they offering? Or have you yet to do so?
Apr 10th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

@sandi

Total no. of days - 11 (2 days in Nairobi - Entry & exit) and 2 days in each Game park (3 days in Masai Mara)

Yes, that's the route
All internal travels by Landcruiser except from Serengeti to Masai Mara by Air.

One of the leading operator has quoted @4000/ adult and @3300/child.

Is it reasonable?
Apr 10th, 2011, 08:00 AM

With the air between Serengeti/Mara... then yes, good price. $360/person adult, less the avg daily park fee ($50-60), you get the $300* figure as FrankS indicates.

*including your meals, game drives; also the 2nts NBO, meet/greets and transfers and if any sightseeing when in Nairobi.
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:14 AM

@sandi
It is right thatthe first and best thing to attend is to compare prices of at least 5 companies, then you can choose that suites you.
thanks
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Frank & Sandi
Apr 29th, 2011, 12:42 AM

Hi i wish to inform you that the trip you have decided to take is the tripe i did with my wife and his brother and the wife it was very good and i think i will go to kenia my next long holiday to climb mount kenia and kilimanjoro we paid 1000$ for the hole trip and airport pick up and drop of we went with inside africa budget safaris www.insideafricatravel.com you will love it they are very good.