Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   August 2006 honeymoon in Tanzania/Kenya (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/august-2006-honeymoon-in-tanzania-kenya-602347/)

katesy Mar 25th, 2006 03:56 PM

August 2006 honeymoon in Tanzania/Kenya

My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon safari August 21-September 3, 2006. We're hoping to hit several CC Africa camps (or comparable) followed by a low key beach stay on Zanzibar.

Any thoughts on this itinerary? The right mix of places? Too much travel?

Also, for CC Africa camps, is it best to book directly through CC Africa, or can better deals be found through particular agents?

Klein's Camp, 3 nights
Ngornogoro Crater Lodge, 2 nights
Another spot, 2 nights - Bateleur or Kichwa Tembo or Grumeti River

We want to make sure we get a shot at seeing the Great Migration - not sure if Grumeti helps us there in late August, though it looks like a great place to stay.

On Zanzibar, Matemwe Bungalows and the Kempinski are both appealing on price. Any thoughts on which is better? We like nice beach, nice views, great food, a/c. Mnemba and the Palms both look lovely, but we're going to save our $$$ for safari.

Thanks!

mzeetembo Mar 26th, 2006 12:22 AM

Katesy, sounds like a nice trip though you have left it quite late to book. These properties are all great but may be full. First off you would be going back on yourself to do Kleins, then Ngorongoro then Grumetti. and jumoing around alot if you then went to the mara and back to Zanzibar. No point in wasting too much time travelling. At this time of year the real action is in the Mara. So Bateleur/Kichwa or my confessed favourite Serian (www.serian.net), then to the crater and onto Zanzibar. If you want to keep it in CCA then you might get a break at Mnemba. My persoanl preference is for breezes though matemwe is nice. Not been to Kempinski so cant comment. On safari try and spend more time in one place though you will get more from your guides and will not waste time travelling. So i would suggest 5 nights Mara, (Bateleur/Serian/Kichwa)2 nights NgoroNgoro Crater then onto Breezes. Where you end up maybe a question of availability!

sandi Mar 26th, 2006 03:30 AM

CCAs first offers are always their own properties as you have listed. With those you list, if the order is correct, you are zig-zagging and CCA will have you flying between each, adding to your cost.

Grumeti is in the Western Serengeti and good in June/July... not when you plan to visit.

For Aug/Sept you should be in the Mara and CCA has only Bateleur and Kichwa Tembo tents here; the latter in a completely different category than the former. And, at this date, it's unlikely you'll find 2-consecutive nights at Crater Lodge.

There are any number of quality high-end camps in the Mara. Besides, Bateleur there is Serian as mentioned above, as well as Richard's, Saruni, Governor's Il Moran, and Explorer - all small, intimate and well suited for catching the migration. Again, availability will be the question.

For Tanzania, I would consider Tarangire which has it's own mini-migration, trying to stays at Treetops or Swala for 2-days; Ngorongoro Crater (Crater Lodge if you can get it or Serena or Farmhouse) for 1-night. Then return to Kenya for a stay at the Mara for 3 or 4 days (you can split you time here with 2-days each if cost of transfers between isn't an issue), then head to ZNZ.

For Zanzibar - you've listed props that are suitable for R&R at the conclusion of your safari. You can add to those Blue Bay and Breezes; Kempinski just opened, so not much feedback yet. All will depend on availability.

bat Mar 26th, 2006 07:01 AM

katesy:
Re Zbar, you might want to consider what kind of place you prefer. Matemwe Bungalows is only 12 units, thatched roof architecture. Kempinski is modern architecture, 100+ units.

We loved Matemwe Bungalows and you can read about it in my trip report.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...ion+wildebeest

Have you looked at Kempinski's website? If you go to the picture library you can see large photos of the resort and the rooms. The only review that I have seen was on Trip Advisor, as I recall.

Good luck.

katesy Mar 26th, 2006 01:07 PM

We currently have a provisional booking for Klein's 8/23-8/26 (3 nights) and the Crater Lodge 8/26-8/29 (3 nights), which we will pair up with some days in the Mara (thanks for the suggestions - hope we can still find a reservation!) and in Zanzibar. Sounds like we will have to fly around a bit inefficiently to make it work, as dates are an issue.

Would Klein's still be worthwhile in late August (either in lieu of the Mara, should we not find reservations there, or as an addition to the Mara)?