Juy Honeymoon Kenya

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juy Honeymoon Kenya

Honeymoon In Kenya

Hi Guys,

I got some great advice from everyone with regard to our upcoming honeymoon at the end of July. We have decided on Kenya and now we just need to choose between two itineraries. Any thoughts on either of these?

Option 1:

2 Nights at Shompole
3 Nights at Kichwa Tembo Bateleur
4 Nights at Mnemba Island Lodge

Option 2:

2 Nights at Loldia House
3 Nights at Il Moran
4 Nights at Mnemba Island Lodge

Looking forward to hearing your response. Thanks!

David
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:32 AM

If you can afford it then spend 3 nights at Shompole or Loldia. It will be much more relaxing for you.

Instead of Mnemba I recommend Funzi Keys or Manda Bay Lodge. Both are very good and similar to Mnemba. This way you remain in Kenya, paying only Kenya visa fees. They may also work out cheaper.

If you travel with Kenya Airways you won't need to spend a night in Nairobi.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:58 AM
sandi

Agree with King - definitely stay in Kenya. I'd opt for Shompole for 3-nts, believe it's more romantic than Loldia. And 3-days at either of the two resorts (in place of Mnemba) - Manda Bay or Funzi Key.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys..Sandi I’ve gotten some great advice from you. I’ll opt for Shompole over Loldia. Any thoughts on Bateleur versus Moran Camp?

Thanks,

David
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:41 PM
sandi

Bateleur or Moran - could almost be a coin toss. Here, I got Il Moran with "tails!" Though lux as Bateleur, I feel it's a truer safari experience, and not as pretentious. It's a personal thing and I can be as pretentious as the next. So, if all things equal - price, service, game walks, nite drives, drinks - toss your own coin. Should you be looking for something special as it's your honeymoon, let your tour operator advise differences to meet your needs/desires. But you'll be here during Migration and spending a good deal of your time away from camp, I don't think you will go wrong with either - heads or tails!

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight Sandi. I think Il Moran has a tub, which is a positive as well there is no electric fence around the camp. Will choose between the two. I’m taking your advice and booking Shompole. Do you think the weather in July will be conducive to a stay there, it seems the rooms are pretty much open to the elements?

Thanks,

David
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:09 AM
sandi

david - the weather is basically constant year-round. Warm. In July, the mornings will be chilly as will be the late afternoons and evenings. So it's best to dress in layers during that time and peel off as the day heats up... and layer up again later in the day.

While it appears that your accommodations are completely open, that is not the case. On closer look, you will notice that the canvas tent is actually rolled up under the ceiling overhang. These will be lowered for evening sleep (or any time you request) and you will be protected from the elements. You are provided plenty of blankets and it's actually quite comfortable inside. Some people choose to sleep in sweats or thermals, we've always sleeped without and have never been cold. Robes are provided for when you get out of morning bed or if needed during he middle of the night... for that matter, whenever you choose. Many camps to provide "hot water bottles" under your bed linens which are delightful when you first get under your covers.

In addition to clothing layers, it's a good idea to wear socks, have a pair of gloves and a scarf and maybe a hat for game drives in open vehicles. When these vehicles take off, the wind does pick up, so proper attire will keep you comfortable. Otherwise, mid-morning to about 4pm should be in the 70s, maybe even the 80s.

As long as you pack properly, you should both be fine.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi, it’s great to get advice from someone with first-hand experience. Much appreciated!

David