Search

August '05 Kenya pictures

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August '05 Kenya pictures

Though I have not yet been organized enough to complete a trip report, I have managed to get my recent photos online.

If anyone is interested, use the connection below:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-56u0h4

Hope you enjoy them.

Jan
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 01:08 PM

hi jan, been awhile. all those amboseli spots. i remember. that male saddlebill are the best ones there. very nice. fav bird by the way
my ole'lady loves that satao camp. maybe next time she could go with you.
jan, how did you do the slide show? i like that.
thx, david
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Wow, great photos. I stayed at Ol Tukai when I visited Ambosel in August 1999, and the wildlife seems to have held up very well. I had heard that the park wasn't as good as it once was, but that's not true, at least based on your photos.

Thanks, Michael
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Dave:

I have my pictures developed with CD so I just pick what I want from Kodak Gallery and upload to their website. Very easy. If you have a digital camera guess it would be just as easy.

Michael:

Yes, Amboseli was wonderful but it is different each time I go depending on the weather. Some times you don't see much but elephants and other times you see everything. It is so very dry now that all the animals want to be near the swamps for their water supply. About the only thing I didn't see were the rhinos that used to inhabit Ambo. but that the Maasai wiped out.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Dave:

I have my pictures developed with CD so I just pick what I want from Kodak Gallery and upload to their website. Very easy. If you have a digital camera guess it would be just as easy.

Michael:

Yes, Amboseli was wonderful but it is different each time I go depending on the weather. Some times you don't see much but elephants and other times you see everything. It is so very dry now that all the animals want to be near the swamps for their water supply. About the only thing I didn't see were the rhinos that used to inhabit Ambo. but that the Maasai wiped out. It was colder than normal, but still most enjoyable.

Jan
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:42 PM

GREAT pictures jan, thanks for sharing!
Dennis
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 02:31 AM

hi jan, thx. it was really easy to do the slide show. it allowed me to use one of my abums. i like it. THX
talk soon.
hey i am off to the mara again in oct.
migration is very strong this yr.
d
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 03:45 AM
sandi

Jan -

Loved the photos. So many lions at the palm tree thickets which I immediately recognized as Amboseli. And so many ellees everywhere. Fantastic.

What caught my breath though was the Oryx... I've never seen these.

I know you've visited at Elephant Watch these past two or three trips, and everytime I look at the photos of this camp, can't but wonder "what was Ms. Douglas thinking" - it's so wild in design... I'd probably have difficulty sleeping.

Next time you visit Samburu, you may want to consider Larsen's Camp which has recently reopened after coming under new ownership and completely refurbished (from article in airline mag when we visited in June). Larsen's was the original camp in this area, but over the last few years fell into disrepair. Seems also that their prices are pretty competitive - less then EW.

Also nearby is Bedouin Camp, outside the reserve... a small lux tented camp and may actually be less expensive then EW.

Again thanks for sharing your favorite places in Kenya.

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Sandi

Thanks for your note. I suspect I will continue to stay at Elephant Watch despite its price. Lodges and camps themselves are not what I go for. It is Sumaro, my guide. It's the experience with the animals. I've noticed over my three trips in one year that Sumaro and my driver get so much closer to the elephants than any of the other camp drivers. Sumaro and the EWC people know each elephant and the elephants know them. They know which musth bulls are dangerous and which aren't. I get much, much closer than any other safari vehicles do because of Sumaro's knowledge. This is what makes it worth it for me.

Yes, I know unexpected things can happen in such situations. About a year and a half ago two of Iain Douglas-Hamilton's researchers were studying two musth bulls fighting. They were some distance away from the fight. During the fight one bull was getting the better of the other. The loser suddenly turned, ran, put his tusks under the back bumper and flipped the vehicle three times and then took out his rage on the side of the vehicle. The roof and sides were completely collapsed. Then the bull headed back to restart the fight with the other bull. Luckily the researchers in the vehicle were alright.

I don't have a death wish, but I love the closeness when safely possible. Thus I'll stick with Sumaro. He has always been great for me.

Jan
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Jan, thanks for sharing your photos. I loved them. All those eles …

I never see any snakes in Kenya and I’ve been feeling envious of people who do – after seeing your python I’m not so sure I should be envious, it’s almost too much snake.

I just love the little elephant playing with his trunk and the very typical Tsavo view from Satao Rock.

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:06 AM
sandi

Jan -

I can understand well having the relationship that you have with your guide and having the access you do when staying at EW. Stick with it.

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Wonderful photos!
Thank you for sharing them.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Thanks for sharing your photos. That opening shot with the reflection of the zebra is wonderful. Loved the bathroom at EW camp. Stupid question - how do you get up to your tent at Satao Rock?
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Great pictures! I think we stayed in the same room you do at Ol Tukai Lodge... 42? I think I recognized the elephant Grace in one of your pictures. She's really distinctive with the one tusk.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Patty:

Not a stupid question at all. The Landrover drove us up as far as the reception/dining area and then from there you walk on hilly, rocky paths back and forth to your tent.

When we went to the very top of the rock to see the elephants it was strictly climbing.

Satao Rock is a little more exertional than I am used to, but when you see the view it is breathtaking.

Jan
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Thanks, Jan. The views looked like they were well worth the climb!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Finally getting a chance to view your photos, and they are all wonderful.

What's interesting to me is how clearly your love of elephants comes across in the photos. I can't think of a better way to articulate this. The ellee pics are just truly special.