atravelynn and sonali"s rendevous in the mara

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We both met up in the afternoon, and shared a great lunch, and a half day game drive, where we saw an amazing crossing of uncountable wildies, and a halfday
night game drive that got rained out. So will have wine instead and chat with you all on fodors, ,

Greetings from the mara,

15/09/2010

Lynn & Sonali
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM

Have a wonderful visit - wine is good! Pity about the rain, but here at home we are facing our first snowstorm of the year - it is going to be a very long winter!
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Hmmm

Wine and being at the Mara.... can't think of too many things better to do

Have a nice trip and enjoy .
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 06:00 PM

It's a Gamesit!
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Proof you both exist! Have fun.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 11:07 PM

What could be better--wine, conversation and the Mara (not necessarily in that order).

I actually kinda enjoyed the rain when I was just there, and really liked the lightning show!!!

Wish I were there....
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Excellent! I look forward to the pics and trip report....I wish that I was back in tha Mara!
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 02:50 AM

SOunds fab!
I had an unexpected GTG too, a Fodors/ Safaritalk friend, Rick, was at Serian on our last night, so it was nice to meet, though we didn't do a game drive or anything!
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 03:11 AM

Thanks for the update.
I hope there is not too much rain about Lynn.
My wife and I leave for the Mara in 2 days.
Cheers
Marc
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 04:54 AM
vr

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I met Rick too, at Serian ! Had a wonderful time there --both with Rick and the wildees
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 06:01 AM

VR oh, we must have left just shortly before you arrived... we spent 10 nights there, had such a great time.
We only crossed over with Rick's 8 night stay by one night!
So glad he figured out who I was to introduce himself!
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 08:09 AM
vr

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yes Kavey---he told me I missed you by a day
Just read your report and can't think of anything new I would need to add--except 3 brilliant crossings (says she, modestly )
Sam was our driver too, with Bajeela as the tracker--and a nicer,more considerate guide/driver pair I have yet to meet.I particularly appreciated their respect for wild life and the environment. Cheers!
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Must be a different Sam... our Samuel is one of their qualified guides and pairs with Dennis as his driver. They're fantastic, work really well together.
Then again, when I was there last, our guide Francis and driver Kimanzi were also excellent!

We had some great crossings too!
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 10:59 AM

I'll come clean. We never even got to the wine part. A delightful evening anyway.

Enjoy the rest of your trip Sonali!

I'm back home now and missing the Mara.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 12:48 PM

I'm home too and missed the Gamesit by a few days while at Ol Malo. I had a few glasses of wine and a lovely dinner with Tinydancer and her DH while at Serian and other fodorites names were mentioned to me by others while at camp.

Mr. Moneyburns and I are going through heavy withdrawal and I do not know how to get over it! I imagine planning another trip will be psychologically medicinal so when I start asking a thousand questions all over again - maybe Tanzania next go round?

Seriously, thank you all so much for so much time spent with me online answering and offering up suggestions. Our selection of Ol Malo was a beautiful contrast to the Mara; and we were captivated by the grevy zebras, retriculated giraffes, Colin and Rocky of Ol Malo, and their wonderful humor, beautiful home/lodge, family, staff - I just cannot say enough. Not much is said on the forum but I think it is a gem. The stories they tell of living and working in Northern Kenya are captivating. You cannot get much more genuine than that. I could have lived with them except I just could not get the beading to work, can't speak the language, can't cook, (although I did give a few tips on herbs), and am totally useless.
I did get rather good at slicing limes for G&T's.

And of course, Serian...ah, what makes it so special? I do not know...having no comparison,but Mr. MB and I just totally let it wrap itself around us and introduce us to the most spectacular place we've ever been. Staying at Ngare, Mobile and Main gave us a well rounded education in the power of seductive tenting. Throw in a crossing, a few cheetahs, lions, elies...Life is Good.

Enough now as I plan a trip report (although the current ones are so good I am a bit intimidated with my writing skills) and as soon as Mr. MB's 30th law school reunion is over this weekend and I return from my own family reunion I hope my brain cells will once again be functioning, our pics downloaded, and I can share what so many of you helped me pull off.

Why did I not know this earlier in life?
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome back, Lynn and Money Burns!
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:56 PM

Can't wait to hear your trip reports.

Welcome home, Lynn and MB!

It's so fun to hear from people who have returned that just a few months ago were posing so many of the same questions I had and trying so hard to pull off the perfect trip.

Lynn, I can't help but think back to your always cool/calm responses/reassurances that whatever we planned would turn out to be a great trip---you were so right!!!

Cannot believe I've been back 3+weeks now--in some ways it seems so long ago (like when I'm stressing at work), and then if I close my eyes and concentrate really hard--poof! I'm back in the Mara (if only it were that easy).

One of my wonderful travel partners (my sister's partner, Bev) put together an AMAZING video of our trip. Now I just have to figure out how to post it. I thought pictures were great, but watching the video really puts me right back in the heart and soul of the trip....

Lucky you, Sonali--I think you've got another week or so??
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Well fodorites,will do a trip report once am back in
India
Yes Lynn, we never did get to the wine, but it was amazing meeting you, am so glad we did meet, great to know you are back safe and sound, just returned from saruni, going back to india tomm........... vacation over, want to gooo back, really miss the mara !!!!!!!!

elisabeth, finished my safari today !!!!!!!!!!! had a fantastic time, well all good things have to come to an end, sadly,

Sonali