Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   atm's in cairo airport??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/atms-in-cairo-airport-822815/)

pegtrek Jan 21st, 2010 02:14 PM

atm's in cairo airport???

We're going to Egypt in Feb. Does anyone know if there are atm's in the Cairo airport? We would like to change money before going out into the city. The books mention atm's at hotels, banks and shopping malls but not the airport. Most cities have them in the airport.

dutyfree Jan 21st, 2010 02:28 PM

There are several ATM's in the Cairo airport right after you clear customs-one is actually right across from the snack bar and next door to the bathrooms.

BeniciaChris Jan 21st, 2010 10:05 PM

I usually get currency from my bank before I leave. That way I don't need to mess with an ATM after a long flight. Just a thought-Chris

Casual_Cairo Jan 22nd, 2010 09:15 AM

Buying EGP outside of Egypt is not a good idea financially. Any bank outside of Egypt is going to cheat you out of at least one EGP per $ or Euro or Pound that you give them. Maybe more. Get into Egypt and get EGP from an ATM or go to the banks at the airport and get EGP from them. They have to follow the same exchange rules as all other banks in Egypt and will give the same exchange within a few piasters. It's a much better choice if you want to get the most for your money.

PaoloCast Jan 25th, 2010 08:51 AM

Just back from two weeks in Egypt and taking a break from finishing my trip report. On Jan 11, the ATM in the arrivals hall at the Cairo airport wasn't working. First, take along a packet of $1 bills which seem to be the local currency and should hold you with porters etc. until you get to the hotel where there are ATMS (and often a Bank of Egypt desk or office) to change the large bills that come out of the ATMS.

BeniciaChris Jan 25th, 2010 08:49 PM

I go to my local bank before a holiday & ask for new 2$ bills. I then go to a local printer & have him put them on pads-like a note pad. They pack flat and are great for porters tips-maid tips.
I know I loose a little money getting local currency before a trip but I am so rummy when I arrive the thought of punching in #'s at an ATM at the airport seems undaunting. (Also I don't use an ATM except for travel so I'm not that great at it.) Just a few hundred $'s for each country starts me out. I have little zip pouches so I can keep currency seaparate-plus I get the FX exchange sheet before I go.

MissGreen Jan 25th, 2010 11:52 PM

This might be a dumb question about buying currency at the airport. Should you have US dollars to purchase your Egyptian pounds or will my Aussie dollars be ok.

Grcxx3 Jan 26th, 2010 05:37 AM

<< go to my local bank before a holiday & ask for new 2$ bills.>>

Just a note ....$2 are not generally seen in Egypt (if at all) and people might consider them to be counterfeit. I'd stick with $1 bills.

Casual_Cairo Jan 26th, 2010 10:15 AM

Aussie $ are probably OK - but US would be easier to work with. The banks and Exchange offices are most familiar with USD and EUR and GBP to exchange. Anything else might throw them for a loop and they can refuse to exchange anything they feel uncomfortable with.

dutyfree Jan 28th, 2010 05:48 PM

As I said in another thread-when traveling overseas one should be paying only in THEIR currency. As someone who travels to many countries every week around the world I cannot begin to tell you how many people stop us as airline crews asking us to change their US dollars and coins to their currency. Most of the people who receive tips in foreign countries don't always have access to banking transactions.
Think about it for those of you living in the states-would you want to be tipped in Euros or pounds or any other currency other than the US?
Get you foreign money overseas at the ATM's at the airport-you will ALWAYS find one ATM at the airport that will work or if really desperate then go to the change bureau there.As Casual Cairo said-you are losing money otherwise!

Grcxx3 Jan 28th, 2010 06:15 PM

<<when traveling overseas one should be paying only in THEIR currency.>>

I completely agree!!!! However, it is sometimes hard to get the smaller denominations in Egyptian Pounds and that is where $1 bills can be handy. But I always prefer to use local currency.