Aswan to Abu Simbel by bus

Dec 11th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Aswan to Abu Simbel by bus

Has anyone done the Abu Simbel trip by bus from Aswan? Just wondering what to expect as far as things to see, nature/safety of road etc.
Thanks
Dec 12th, 2003, 04:09 AM
sandi

Why would you want to take the bus? Cheaper? Is it a regularly scheduled Egyptian service bus or a special bus for tourists? If local, you might not really enjoy the ride even if cost is less, it cetainly will be a longer drive. Will the bus be air conditioned? You'll be driving thru the very very hot desert and there is nothing out there but sand, lots of sand.

The flight is less than an hour and doesn't cost much; this would be my choice.

Dec 12th, 2003, 06:29 AM

I did the ride to Abu Simbel several years ago and it was excellent. We departed before dawn and seeing the sub rise over the dunes was beautiful. There were several camel caravans camping near the road and we stopped at a couple. One camp invited us to join them for breakfast tea.

It was one of the most memorable parts of that Egypt trip. However, I thought the road was now closed to tourists?
Dec 12th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Sandi - we can either fly or bus it (airconditioned) as part of a tour. Price is not that much different, I just thought it might be a way to see a bit more of Egypt.

NoFlyZone - apparently the road is now open again to tourists. Any idea why it was closed? Sounds like your trip was very worthwhile.
Dec 13th, 2003, 02:48 AM
sandi

ttt

Dec 13th, 2003, 02:58 AM
sandi

PW30 -

Sorry to have to top the message, but have been having problems posting replies, so instead of keying a reply and then finding it didn't - -

It seems that NoFlyZone enjoyed the ride, and the experience of meeting some caravans and small groups of residents in the area - but how long a drive is it?

Will this be a day-trip only or are you staying overnight in Abu Simbel? If overnight, then the drive, even if long, won't eat into your time at AS if you had to return same day.

Is this being done at the end of your Egypt trip or will you be continuing your time in Egypt with your cruise or whatever (like returning to Cairo)?

We found by flying we arrived in AS about 9am from Cairo (never stopped in Aswan as all on flight were going to AS; and had the morning to enjoy AS, returning on flight to Aswan to board our cruise boat by 1pm.

So, I guess it's up to you! Enjoy your trip, Egypt is a wonderful country with friendly people, interesting food, amazing sights - you'll ave a grand time.

Dec 13th, 2003, 01:20 PM

If I recall, it was a 2.5 or 3 hour ride. But we left early and got there before the first group of tourists disgorged from the plane. We also had another hour or two after the plane tour left before we left. If I recall (sort of fuzzy now), we had lunch at a local place on our own.

In all, plenty of time to see everything, including wandering up to the top of the queen's hill (forgive me for not remembering the real name), and the tour through the inside of the artificial mountain holding the monument.

Great to hear the road is opened again. Given time in your itinerary, the road is a great way to go.
Dec 14th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for both your responses. The Abu Simbel trip is optional, and near the end of the tour (after train trip to Luxor and then Nile cruise to Aswan - day and half in Aswan, during which AS day trip is offered - and then back to Cairo on overnight train ... all up nine days). The tour to AS is a day trip, leaving at 4.30am, three hours drive, two hours at site, and three hours back. (The air option only has an hour at the site).
Will two hours be long enough? I guess it's better than none at all!
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Dec 15th, 2003, 03:48 AM
sandi

Two-hours is certainly enough time at the site. Whether you have your own guide or get an English speaking guide as we did who guided about 10 people. Even had enough time to go into the back of the mountain where they moved the temples when the High Dam was built and temples would have been lost if not moved.
The early departure (whether air or bus) is because it gets very hot in Abu Simbel, and best that you're on your way back by mid-morning, latest.
Whichever you choose is will be a visit worth the time. Enjoy.

Search this Thread