Assistance with July Marrakesh /Essaouria trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we are a family of four from the U.S. Two late middle aged parents and a 15 year old daughter and 17 year old son. We are spending a week in Portugal and then flying into Marrakesh from Lisbon. I have booked three nights in Marrakesh and three nights in Essaouria. Both Riad reservations can still be canceled or changed. This would leave a final night in Morocco the night before we fly back to Portugal. I am planning on some day trips from both cities. Do you think this is too much time in either location? Any advice? By the way we are not planning on renting a car.
Thanks!
Old May 20th, 2018, 09:44 AM

Having just got back from Morocco 2 weeks ago, I'm no expert, but Marrakech and Essaouira are a nice complement, though I think 2 days in the latter will be enough. It would be easier, I think, to do day trips out of Marrakech and your riad would be able to assist you with organizing your trips. I'm not sure what day trips you have in mind out of Essaouira, though from Marrakech, you could take a trip into the Atlas mountains. The trip between Marrakech and Essaouira is roughly 3 hours, so if you're flying out of Marrakech, you should probably be back the night before the flight.
Old May 20th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. perhaps I will change things up and stay two nights in Essaouria , three in Marrakesh and then take a couple overnight trips to Atlas mountain or desert? we have seven nights total to play with and as you said, the last evening should be back in Marrakesh the day before we fly out. can anyone suggest a one night , two day trip from Marrakesh?
Old May 20th, 2018, 11:32 AM

It may be easier to do day trips from Marrakech or else you’ll be better off with a driver. From Essaouira, it’s easy enough to get back to Marrakech by public transport but not so easy to travel to the Atlas Mountains on your own. If you return to Marrakech and make your Riad your base, a 1-2 night stay in the region of the Route of 1000 Kasbahs is doable. I’m not familiar with the range of trips into the mountains from Marrakech, so you might want to check out some of the Moroccan tourist agencies for ideas. It’s something that your Riad can help you with as well, or you can pre-book a short trip with any of the numerous Moroccan travel companies.

I highly recommend the driver we had on our recent trip, Salem Karaoui. He and his brother have their own travel company, Moroccan Family, and we couldn’t have been happier with Salem. He would be able to give you suggestions as well for your trip. He is much more than a driver and I’m happy to give you more feedback on him if you’re interested.

https://moroccan-family.com/about-us/