Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Arusha Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/arusha-hotels-780178/)

Nyamera Apr 20th, 2009 10:07 AM

Arusha Hotels

Where could I stay if going to Arusha? I’d like the least expensive en-suite single room in an animated area (Sokoine Road?). I’ve been thinking of Meru House Inn, but got first hand information about the staff stealing from guests. Arusha Backpackers sounds nice, but I don’t think they have en-suite rooms. Any ideas?

twaffle Apr 20th, 2009 04:59 PM

I have no ideas but glad to see you are planning to visit that area! :)

MyDogKyle Apr 20th, 2009 05:02 PM

Wait... Tanzania?!

We really liked Karama Lodge in Arusha (a "budget" option as far as this board goes, but maybe not budget enough for you?). But it wouldn't really fit your requirement of "an animated area" -- it's a bit outside of town.

Happy to see a planning thread from you, though!

jules39 Apr 21st, 2009 06:01 AM

have you had a look over on "Lonelyplanet.com" You may get more people there with budget ideas for you.I admit for our last two trips we just had the safari op arrange a hotel for us as we were only going to be there one night. They gave us a few choices at different prices but nothing really budget, if I remember correctly the trip 2 years ago we took one of the cheapest options at US$50. Happy travels. J

Nyamera Apr 21st, 2009 12:57 PM

Twaffle, thanks. :D

MDK, thanks. Karama Lodge is too expensive. Having a planning thread is a bit of a problem since I’ve decided to become less transparent. I’m thinking of taking a shuttle or a big bus to Arusha from Nairobi. Any suggestions?

Jules39, thanks. I’ve had a look at the LP Thorn Tree. I became a bit wiser there, but I still haven’t found an Arusha Hotel. $50 is too expensive.

I’m going to East Africa pretty soon, but I’m not saying exactly when. I’m quite clueless as to what to do in EA and would need some help. I’d like to stay for a longer time spending as little money as possible without becoming ugly (in all ways). What I’d really like to do is to stay at a small unfenced camp in an area with amazing wildlife, but I suppose that’s not possible. I shouldn’t say this as it’s becoming pathetic after so many trips, but what’s most important is to find a way to stay forever.

jules39 Apr 21st, 2009 01:09 PM

Never stop dreaming Nyamera!!! J

ShayTay Apr 21st, 2009 04:16 PM

Have you looked into budget camping safaris, such as Bobby Tours? Perhaps they have a group you could join. They also have a shuttle bus between Nairobi and Arusha. Also, have you considered an overland bus tour, or is that too many people?

atravelynn Apr 21st, 2009 04:54 PM

I don't have any help but am excited for you that Tanzania is on your radar.

SophiaP Apr 22nd, 2009 02:25 AM

You should go to Masai Camp. It is close to the centre, but in a nice area, it's an animated place with good food and bbqs. I know you can camp there, and I am sure they also have bungalows or something.

Nyamera Apr 22nd, 2009 07:55 AM

Jules and Lynn, ((K)) ((K))

Shaytay, I’ll soon have to start looking at group budget camping. Though for me, not having a bathroom would be a torture. Overlanding sound like something young people from New Zealand would do and I try to avoid them.

Hello Sophia, Masai Camp looks good, but isn’t centrally located enough – I would like to be very close to safari companies and public transport - and I’m not sure the rooms and bandas have bathrooms. There’s a risk Kiwi cleptomaniacs would hang around there.

Asanteni sana!

atravelynn Apr 22nd, 2009 04:35 PM

Better pack some extra torches just in case.

andybiggs Apr 22nd, 2009 06:49 PM

Susanna, have you heard of The Outpost in Arusha? We stayed there a looooong time ago (2002?) when we took 6 weeks to backback around east Africa. We were on a tight budget and somebody recommended it to us. Here is the link:

http://www.outposttanzania.com/

It was pretty close to the clock tower, so there were things to walk to during the day. We enjoyed our stay there. I hope this helps.

Nyamera Apr 23rd, 2009 11:49 AM

Lynn, thanks for the reminder about why I don’t like Kiwis. I don’t sound that nice when I don’t explain.

Andy, Susanna? What kind of un-topi-like name is that?
Thanks for the link to the Outpost. $45 is too much though

Leely2 Apr 23rd, 2009 04:00 PM

Very exciting! I took a shuttle, one of the main ones. I'd have to google-goggle the name. Very easy trip. Riverside? Scandinavian is probably most appropriate for you though.

Calo Apr 23rd, 2009 05:56 PM

Nyamera, Rough Guide has 14 budget places (all between $5 - $20) listed on their website:

http://www.roughguides.com/website/t...660878904_0386

Some of them sound fine, others do not!

andybiggs Apr 24th, 2009 02:39 AM

I would check with the Outpost to see if their rates have changed in this current environment. My suspicion is that the rates are negotiable, especially if you are staying more than a few nights. Just a hunch.

LyndaS Apr 24th, 2009 11:12 PM

Nyamera, will we cross paths somewhere?

Nyamera Apr 25th, 2009 03:02 PM

Leely, I don’t like the name of Scandinavian, but I think they have big buses.

Thanks, Calo. There’re a few interesting sounding hotels on the list.

Andy, I’ll try to negatiate.

Lynda, unfortunately, I don’t think I’m leaving that early.

LyndaS Apr 26th, 2009 01:16 PM

Darn, Nyamera, I thought if our paths would cross not only could we meet, but I could offer you a ride to somewhere if we were going in the same direction! But I guess you do have to finish up school.

Where else in TZ are you thinking of going?

Nyamera Apr 27th, 2009 06:57 AM

Darn, darn, darn!
Thanks, Lynda, I would have loved to hitch a ride.

I don't know where I'm going.