Search

What a Blessing to Have Gone to Africa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a Blessing to Have Gone to Africa

Dear Fodorite Friends:

What a blessing it is for those of us who have gone to Africa! I was just watching a show on Discovery HD called: Trek: Spy in the Waterhole. It was such an amazing thing to recognize sights in the Masai Mara such as Rhino Ridge and the hills to the west of the Governor's Camps. The show ended with a crossing of the wildebeest and zebras at the same Paradise crossing at which we had seen a couple of crossing. What a wonderful world we live in and how blessed those of us are who have seen these sights ourselves.

Kevin from California

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM

How right you are!
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 08:40 PM

You are so right, Kevin.

As a boy, I was enthralled by things like Edgar Rice Burroughs' books, and movies such as "Where no vultures fly" (an entirely inappropriate title, but that's moviedom for you!). Yet I feel I wasted so many years, because I didn't venture to Africa until much, much later.

Then, after my first visit to Kenya, I discovered the magnificent wildlife art of Simon Combes, via his book "An African Experience". I learned that he spent much of his childhood in one of the places I had visited. As a boy, he wandered the hills in the Lakes Nakuru/Elmenteita region. Wow!

Three years ago this month, he was killed by a buffalo while on an evening walk in the same country. This man had no pretence, he loved where he was at, and he probably died the way he wanted to.

Because of his art, I feel blessed to have seen where he grew up, and to have exchanged a couple of emails with him. I wish I could afford one of his original paintings!

John
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 05:39 AM

well said, Kevin ......
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Yes, indeed, we are blessed to be able to visit this special continent. As I've said before, we go for the wildlife but come back remembering the people. Despite the many hardships they face, they exude great joy, warmth and grace.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Kevin-
I saw it last year before my trip to Kenya and it got me so pumped. I've seen it again since, and watched part of it last night too.

You just find yourself pulling for that wildebeest calf throughout the show. Especially during the Mara river ordeal!

We are all truly privileged to be able to visit (and experience) such a wonderful continent.

Thanks for posting this thread!
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Kevin, thanks for posting this. You're so right.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM

I couldn't agree with you more Kevin. I waited a long time to fulfill my dream of going to Africa (Botswana and Zambia) and feel very blessed to be able to return in March (Tanzania this time).
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Kevin, thank you for expressing what so many of us feel. We are indeed blessed!
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 05:16 AM

I just want to agree with what Kevin said about the blessing of having gone to Africa. I was in Kenya and Tanzania in January of this year and the experience forever changed my life. I went on Safari of course, but I visited with families in the Kibera Slums and with orphans who are HIV positive at the Nyumbani Children's Home.

When I think about all that we have in this country and how unhappy so many of us are and how little so many have in Kenya and Tanzania, yet the joy with which many live their lives, I am humbled. With all of the problems in Africa, there is so much potential--for the whole planet. I hope that all of us will do what we can, in whatever way we can, to not just feed hungry people or end the AIDS crisis, but to lift up our Mother--for she is the Motherland of every human being on the planet.