Are tourists safe in Turkish resorts?

Mar 29th, 1999, 08:21 AM
Phil Browne

Are tourists safe in Turkish resorts?

I have heard alot of bad things about how the PKK are going to target Turkish Resorts, and that tourist's safety can't be guaranteed this year. Has anyone been out there recently, or does anybody have information on the situation?

Apr 1st, 1999, 08:58 AM
Karen

Phil,
My husband and I were scheduled for a Turkish tour in late April with National Geographic tours. We were informed by the tour company last week that the tour had been cancelled due to concerns regarding the upcoming trial of PKK rebel leader Abdullah Ocalan. The tour may be rescheduled in September. Although we are extremely disappointed, we felt that a reputable organization such as National Geographic has some legitimate concerns or they would not have cancelled the trip. Have a safe trip if you choose to travel.
Karen

Apr 1st, 1999, 08:59 AM
Karen

Phil,
My husband and I were scheduled for a Turkish tour in late April with National Geographic tours. We were informed by the tour company last week that the tour had been cancelled due to concerns regarding the upcoming trial of PKK rebel leader Abdullah Ocalan. The tour may be rescheduled in September. Although we are extremely disappointed, we felt that a reputable organization such as National Geographic has some legitimate concerns or they would not have cancelled the trip. Have a safe trip if you choose to travel.
Karen

Apr 6th, 1999, 05:26 PM
Patricia

Three women friends and I are hoping to to travel to Turkey in mid-May, to sail for a week in the Mediterranean and then to travel to Ephesus, Cappadoccia and Istanbul, during the course of 2 1/2 weeks. We also would appreciate any information and opinions about the safety of this travel. A big problem for us is that our broker for the sailing piece denies there is any reason to be concerned, and is unwilling to consider a rescheduling or a refund.

Apr 7th, 1999, 02:05 AM
Myriam

A friend of ours was supposed to leave for Istanbul second half April. His trip has been cancelled by the travel agency.

Apr 8th, 1999, 09:59 AM
Paula

There are definite reasons why large tour operators cancel tours to troubled areas and the main reason is safety of participants. You might like to read the latest State Department bulletins on travel to Turkey.

No one can predict what area is going to be targeted especially by terrorists who time their attacks for maximum effect and to cripple the government they are targeting.

Let's be realistic - the world in not now nor will it ever be "safe." If you are wondering if you will be "safe", then you have real concerns that should be addressed. Do not go where there is a question in your mind that you might be targeted.

However, if you feel that you MUST see Turkey NOW, then take some very REAL precautions.

Keep a low profile - no openly US symbols i.e. American Tourister, Rayban, etc.

Be aware of your surroundings - if you feel unsafe - YOU ARE - LEAVE. Check with hotels about neighborhoods not to venture into. Take taxis from hotels.

No backpacking - stay at suitable hotels.

Check in with the Embassy, consulate for updates on the area - be sure you know where it is if you have to find it - the Embassy WON'T find you - you have to find it.

Observe dress codes - Moselm countries even modern countries like Turkey can take offense to what they consider inappropriate attire.

Jul 2nd, 1999, 03:58 AM
Lindsay

Turkey is one of the safest european countries that you could travel to at the moment. The locals are really friendly, and always willing to help tourists find their way. The only trouble that has come from the Oculan trial, is the gross misrepresentation by the western media. The government expected trouble before, during and after the trial, and so they have been prepared by bolstering the number of police and soilders around the country.
Go to Turkey, you will have no problems, and it is one of those countries that you will want to return to, as you will not have enough time to see all there is to offer.

Search this Thread