Are there many 'elephant watch' camps?

Aug 8th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Are there many 'elephant watch' camps?

I came across this link in one of the dozens of threads --

http://www.elephantwatchsafaris.com/

It looks very interesting. Is it unique or are there similar camps all over?

I did a general search and didn't come up with much info about just the elephant watch camps.

Thanks
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:54 AM

I don't think that there are any others quite like Elephant Watch Safaris in Kenya. The camp is staffed with people who have a long history watching and studying the elephants in the area, so they know the elephants in a much more intimate way than the typical safari camp. Because EWS is closely associated with Save the Elephants, they get access to things like radio-collar info that tells them where the elephants are...and these elephants are now quite trusting of humans in vehicles. They obviously feel very safe in the area.

There is certainly other wildlife in the area, but most people choose EWS because of its elephant experience. The other people you meet there are likely to be elephantophiles too (is that a word?) are so are not likely to whine about their need to find a lion to photograph.

There is a camp in Botswana, Abu's Camp, that offers elephant-back safaris in the Okavango Delta. That experience is unique, but doesn't have the same focus on studying and protecting animals in the wild, and I don't thing you will actually get as close to wild elephants in this way.
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:55 AM
sandi

Elephant Watch is the name of the camp. The Douglas' (who own this camp) have an elephant research project going on in the Samburu area for many year. The work the Douglas' do is of interest to many visitors staying at other lodges or camps. With prearrangements, if not staying at Elephant Watch Camp, you can visit.

Besides the elephants in Samburu, Amboseli is also known for the work done here by Cynthis Moss. At Amboseli you will find lodges and camps as accommodations.

So Elephant Watch, in the case of this camp, is just the name of the place. You can "elephant watch" in various places in Kenya.

Aug 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful info. Yes, I realized it is the name of the camp and wasn't sure if I should refer to places as 'elephant watch', 'elephant safaris', etc.

Looks like a unique experience.

Of course, THAT IS THE PROBLEM. I have read for days and days and days thru threads and so many places are such a unique experience that it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to decide what to focus on!

There is soooooo much wonderful info on this board, that I WILL work it all out EVENTUALLY
Aug 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Good luck on that. I've been trying to plan an Africa trip for next year - and I still haven't nailed down my destination!
Aug 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Make that: I've been trying FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS to plan an Africa trip for next year.....
Aug 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Cooncat -- I sooooooo know how you feel.
Aug 10th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Lin

OK cooncat, you've been making these comments about trying to decide where to go - what's the dilemma? what have you narrowed it down to? what are your main goals and interests? now you've got me curious

Search this Thread