Are swimming pools safe?

Apr 8th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Are swimming pools safe?

Greetings. My husband and I will be staying at the Tarangire Safari Lodge, Gibbs Farm, Speke Bay Lodge, Serengeti Sopa Lodge, and Eunoto Retreat. I know that there are swimming pools available, but I seem to have read so many articles about various infections being spread through pools which are improperly sanitized. Does anybody have any thoughts as to the safety of swimming in these places? Also, has anybody heard of the Maasai Lodge outside of Arusha? That is the spelling that I have been sent repeatedly. I can't find any information on the internet at all. As always, thank you, thank you.
Apr 8th, 2005, 12:11 PM

I make it apractice to look b4 I leap. Never can tell when a hippo/croc or snake decides to take up residence. Or with my Vic Falls friends-an ellie is stopping for refreshments.
Apr 8th, 2005, 12:45 PM

We had elephants swimming in our pool at Ngala years ago!

I've always wondered about chlorine and filtration as well, especially in the private plunge pools.
Apr 8th, 2005, 12:50 PM

My husband and I swam at all the swimming pools in Kenya and had no serious side effects.. you could smell the chlorine, which I take to be a good sign.. however, it is worth noting that niether I (for my hair color) nor my husband for his defective ear drums.. placed our heads under the water. In my experience ear problems are the most likely after a quick dip in a poorly filtered pool. Frankly, I am currently more worried about bed bugs in the US hotels(epidemic, from what I am reading). The pool after a dusty day game viewing, really REALLY hit the spot.

Search this Thread