Reload this Page >

Are shorts OK for ladies in Tanzania?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Greg

Is it Ok for ladies to wear modest shorts while in Arusha Tanzania or would the locals find that offensive? I know that in Zanzibar it would not be a good idea, but I've heard different opinions about Arusha.<BR>Thanks

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Deb

Greg,<BR><BR>The locals would probably not complain especially in Arusha as it is the starting point of most safaris in Tanzania. Africans are more conservative, however and if you are taking their sensibilities into consideration, I would avoid wearing shorts around town. I never saw the local women wearing them.<BR><BR>I found for myself that I really used (and liked) the 2-in-1 pants often called Kenya convertible pants. You can wear them long and then you can wear them as shorts by undoing the zippers (plus they are less to pack!). They were great even on safari as it can be quite cold on the morning drives and quite warm on the afternoon drives. There are several outfitters that carry them.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time (I envy you!)

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 05:18 PM
T Brown

Ladies wearing ladies' shorts might be okay but Men wearing ladies' shorts might be a different story.