Are hair dryers out of the question on safari?

Mar 16th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Are hair dryers out of the question on safari?

I probably know the answer to this, but would it be impossible to bring by own hair dryer ( with adaptor) when I go on safari this Sept? I will be at Sossusvlei Wilderness Camp and Ongava Game Reserve in Namibia, Xigera Camp and Savuti Camp in Botswana. I look like Little Orphan Annie unless my hair is blown dry and I am so used to it this way, but is it possible in these places?
Mar 16th, 2005, 09:23 AM

It depends on the camp. Some provide outlets in your room or tent. Others don't. Normally, the lodge's website will tell you if there's electricity or not in the rooms.

(By the way, my husband says I lookd like Medusa without the aid of a blow dryer. I probably scare the animals!)
Mar 16th, 2005, 09:28 AM

It is not impossible to bring a hairdryer, BUT...

Some of the camps may already have hairdryers in the rooms and some may not have the power to run hairdryers. For example, Wilderness Safaris website says that Ongava Lodge has hairdryers. The site also says that hairdryers won't work at Savuti since they use 12v battery room in the guest rooms.
Mar 16th, 2005, 09:36 AM

From my wife's experience. If the website says hairdryers can be used then they will provide them. Savuti uses battery power and there is not even much light by which to read at night, but then again you have the sounds of Africa to listen to and safaris are very tiring. Hairdryers are usually available where rooms are in permanent structures rather than tents.
Mar 16th, 2005, 04:56 PM

We did not find hairdryers at the Wilderness Camps we stayed at. Some camps we were able to recharge our camera batteries in the room. Others, we had to take it to camp office.
Power was VERY limited.
Savuti was one of the more basic camps we stayed at on our trip.
Mar 16th, 2005, 06:23 PM

On the same note, if the camps have electricity like in South Africa, is it possible to use curling irons with an adapter? My understanding is that no need to bring any electrical appliances to Wilderness camps in Botswana, correct?
Mar 17th, 2005, 05:33 AM

My experience so far is nohing electrical at Wilderness, they will recharge batteries while you are on game drives, that is the only time they run the generators.
Mar 17th, 2005, 05:55 AM

Wear a hat. I have stayed at Ongava and Savuti, and I don't recall outlets in the rooms, but I didn't look.

The only way to get a real answer is to ask your tour operator.
Mar 17th, 2005, 06:39 AM
mv

check the wilderness homepage.
For each camp they have a factsheet.
If electricity is provided it will be mentioned there (Ongava and Little Ongava do have 220V in the rooms)
Mar 17th, 2005, 08:06 AM

I usually blow dry my hair for speed but it looks pretty much the same if I let it dry naturally; a few more kinks and wayward areas...

Your best bet is to ask the travel agent to contact the camps directly and ask exactly what the situation is. Even with one operator there are differences in what is provided in their tents and what usage their generator can support.

One does get more used to using hairbands, scarves and hats during a safari than at home!
Mar 17th, 2005, 02:13 PM

You will not be able to use a hair dryer at Xigera (not unless they installed outlets since our stay there June 2004). Even if there are outlets installed, there is a good chance it can't be used for hair dryers (at Chitabe Trails, a guest used the outlet in the tent that was installed just for charging batteries, and blew the fuses for all the tents).
Mar 17th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Dear Lolo,
I feel your pain, my hair is fine little shirley temple ringlets if I don't blow dry it to within an inch of it's life.. it's a personal issue, but though I wouldn't be caught dead at work or home without straight hair.. on safari, I opted for a bandana under a hat, you should be wearing a hat at all times since the sun is vicious more so then any where due to being so close to the equator. While you are on the drives, you will be sweating or in humidity and chances are your hair will curl up like crazy.. best to find a hat/scarf option. The only good thing about that is who cares about hair when you spot your first lion! During the evenings at the camp, pretty much anything goes.. I think I ended up drying my hair once for a dinner.. most of the time I just tried to pull it back.. it's a real hassle on safari.. but you could do it from time to time..
Mar 18th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Lin

Hi Lolo, Please forget about your hair on safari. Believe me after 24 hours no one will care one bit how they look. If you fixed your hair up perfectly during siesta time, it would get ruined anyway during the evening game drive with the blowing wind and dust. Just let your hair dry naturally. Having said that, you can buy a curling iron with power cells filled with lighter fluid. These do not require any electricity. You can get them at Walmart, I bought them for my last safari but realized quickly that no one cared how they looked. In my experience most camps do not have adequate power for hair dryers.
Mar 19th, 2005, 03:50 AM
sandi

I wouldn't attempt to bring curling iron that uses butane cartridges. These are a no-no for the TSA and will be removed from your bags, either checked or carryon.

However, if your hair is that important - and it is for me - and if it will make you happy to have a small light-weight dual voltage hair blower (and appropriate adapter plug) bring it with you. Then it will be pot-luck where you can use it, if you even can.

I have yet to get comfortable with tiebacks, hairbands, scarves, barrettes, or hats ... eventually you'll find a place to use it, or not. Just remember, most of the women (and some men) are in the same situation, so go with the flow.

Search this Thread