Search

Problems with Viewing Africa Forum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with Viewing Africa Forum

Hi
Is anyone else have recent problems with the formatting of the Africa forum? The the thread topics in the left hand column are wider than the column. I can't see the full thread name. This only happens on Affrica - not Europe or the other forums. It has only started over the past couple of days and is very annoying. Any advice welcomed.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 01:27 AM

It's because there's currently a thread in the top 50 that has no spaces so isn't breaking properly in the left column... I think it's the windfall thread.

For example you'll find it you view the next 50 threads it's OK.

The problem will go once that thread sinks away...
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Kavey
Thanks for the explanation - I did notice that it started after Lin's report but didn't put two and two together. It's such a great trip report I'm not sure it will ever drop down below 50.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Kavey,
What's a thread with no spaces? I just noticed the problem yesterday and I think that windfall thread has been around longer than that.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:52 AM

I have the same problem but a different question. I can't seem to get my printer to print the replies. It only prints the questions on the left, tho once in a while a right-hand page will print. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:03 AM

I have to highlight the area I want to print and then I have no problem. Just having the item open in the right window will not print it.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Ah yes, it's Lin's report not the thread I initially suspected.

Patty, I'm referring to the TITLE of a thread - if it has insufficient spaces within it there isn't a natural point at which it can break to the next line when displayed in the menu area to the left and the site software doesn't handle it very well.

Lin's report has a list of places separated by commas but no spaces between them so the site isn't breaking it properly.

It happens reasonably regularly on the Europe forum and I just kind of ignore it...

You may be able to convince editors to correct the thread title but I am always loathe to do that incase they take the easy way out and delete the entire thread which would be awful.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Knightshound, the printing problem is because Fodors insists on using Frames for their website page layout.

Without going into details, it makes it difficult to print the area one wants to print and also impossible to bookmark a specific thread without manually copying the thread URL.

If I want to print from Fodors I also select the thread text first and then use the Print Selection option within the File Print dialog box.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Kavey, thanks for the explanation! I've noticed the problem several times in the past, and am glad to know the cause.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Kavey,
Thanks. I'd notice it fairly regularly on the Europe board too but never knew why.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 09:23 AM

No worries, I'm kind of geeky so the first time I saw it happen I really examined what could be causing it until I worked it out...

This time I didn't bother looking into which thread might be causing it as I have seen it before, knew there would be one or other thread without spaces and didn't really pay too much attention.

I am surprised there isn't a feature that automatically adds spaces to strings of more than X characters in lengths (only in titles, not in messages) or warns people when they post and makes them edit their titles at that stage...
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM

I have had a problem with my printer also but thought it was at my end - its nice (I guess) to know the problem is sorta universal. I used to be able to print but no longer. What do I have to do in order to print?
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Thanks everybody for the help. Happily I am leaving Sept. 2 for Victoria Falls/Botswana and can't wait.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Lolo, do you mean you can't print at ALL from any internet site or just that you can't print the thread content from Fodors?
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:20 PM
sandi

When it comes to printing, I've found it easy enough to just highlight a complete thread of individual posts of interest and send it to a separate screenname that I use for travel only.

I then read or print the thread as an email received and also save it on my computer in individual folders set up for particular countries, countinents, islands, subjects - i.e, Africa (by country, hotels/lodges/camps, weather, clothing, tipping, etc.); if Europe (by country, hotels, restaurants, road travel). You get the idea.

If I've printed these threads/posts, I just have a paper folder system to match those saved on the computer.

I've tried printing a complete thread (direct to printer) and haven't had problems. However, if trying to print a single post, more often then not, it doesn't work. So instead of knocking myself out I set up the above procedure of sending the thread to myself. Maybe this will work for you.

As to the formatting of the left column, I've seen this often on many of the other boards and just ignore it... eventually it disappears, though frustrating until it does. Unlike Kavey, my mind couldn't begin to figure out WHY!

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Like I said, I'm a closet geek at heart!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 04:18 PM
bwanamitch

???

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Sandi, that was VERY helpful. Thanks very much.