Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Are all the animals in and around Sabi Sand/Kruger/Timbavati native to the area???

Are all the animals in and around Sabi Sand/Kruger/Timbavati native to the area???

Mar 20th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Are all the animals in and around Sabi Sand/Kruger/Timbavati native to the area???

I used to believe that the game found in the Sabi Sand/Kruger, etc., were native to the area but after talking to a few travel agents that mostly turn their noses up at this area, I am not so sure.

Many agents would have a person believe that this is nothing more than a big zoo. I don't know if they are trying to accomodate me with their statements so that they can sell the Zambia/Zimbabwe/Botswana packages that I have mostly been seeking. I don't think they would say the same things if I called looking for a place in the Sabi Sand.

My other question is where do all the animals that migrate to Botswana and Zambia in the drier months migrate from???

Do they just come from the same countries but then congregate within a more concentrated area???

Or do these animals come all the way from South Africa???

While looking at Ngala's website, it states that their best game viewing is from April to August. Shouldn't these animals be migrating north by June???

Still trying to figure all this out. If I get a killer rate at one of the nicer game reserves in Sabi Sand/Kruger, I have to decide whether it is worth my while or not.

Even if I did get a great rate at some of the nicer game reserves, if I wanted seven nights, it would still likely cost around $3,000 USD and that is already probably getting these lodges for $1,000 USD than any travel agent would quote them. With flights and transfers it is still $5,000 USD, or only a few hundred less than I could get a weeklong trip at either Robin Pope Safaris or The Bushcamp Company Safaris in South Luangwa. I guess the difference is equivalent to whether a person wants to stay at Club Med, an all inclusive completely commercialized resort company popular in the caribbean, or at a private unspoiled island that may not have all of the comforts as Club Med but surpasses it with its unspoilt beauty. (By the way, I have NEVER stayed at Club Med and NEVER will).

I guess I would just like to know in the very unlikely event that I go to Sabi Sand/Kruger, this year or next.

I will likely be taking my sister-in-law and her soon to be husband along to Africa next year, and that may be a nice primer and would allow me a little more time to explore the Garden Route. Its one thing to have eight nights on safari for two people, but if I am paying for four people, I may very well want to cut it down to four nights and keep it local in South Africa.

Search this Thread