Search

Johannesburg Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Connie

Johannesburg Airport

Hello, <BR>I'll be traveling in South Africa soon and I'll be passing through the Johannesburg Airport a couple of times. <BR>Does anyone know if they have lockers available at the airport? And, of course, if they do, are they safe? <BR>I'd like to avoid carrying everything with me while I'm in country and would like to leave a few things and pick them up on my way out of the country. <BR>Thanks! <BR>Connie

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Lisa

Hi Connie <BR>I am pretty sure they have a left luggage room but not lockers. You give your suitcase/s to the attendant, get a ticket, pay a fee (I'm not sure if you pay when you drop off or when you pick it up, probably at drop off but I am open to correction.) <BR> <BR>I have done this at Cape Town airport so I am almost sure it will be the same at Jo'burg Airport. I even went back at some point just to get something out of the suitcases that I needed.I seem to remember the gentleman expected a small tip too. You may want to point out in advance that he'll get a tip when you get back if he looks after them well. <BR> <BR>Obviously, you'll want to make sure that they are locked beforehand.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 10:15 PM
local

Connie <BR> <BR>There are lock-up facilities in the basement below international arrivals in terminal 2. Follow the signs for "Lock up luggage". (Ask at the Information booths for directions.) The cost is R12,00 per bag for every 12 hours. Make sure that your bags, etc can lock very well. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip!! <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Mily

Just returned from South Africa and yes they have luggage lockers at the International Terminal (arrivals area) next to the luggage carrusels. Not sure how much it costs. We did leave some luggage at our Johannesburgh hotel, since we were returning to the same hotel after our safari. No problems there. If you will are going on safari to Kruger via air (Skukuza airpport) there is a weight restriction of 20 kilos per person. This is equivalent to about 44Lbs. They will charge you for extra pounds upon your return from Sukuza airport. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 03:37 AM
Connie

Thanks for all of the great info! <BR>Connie

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left luggage in one of the storage facilities located in the basement of the Joburg airport last year, without a problem.<BR><BR>I had a chartered flight on FedAir from Joburg directly to Singita and they only allowed a minimal amount of luggage, so we were advised to check in most of our luggage. We didn't mind at all since we were able to take care of Singita's &quot;free&quot; laundry service (note to self: next time stay at a place that charges less than $1100 per night and charges for laundry!).<BR><BR>At the airport, they will give you a claim ticket that you bring back to claim your luggage. The rates seemed reasonable and I would not hesitate to do it again.