April safari - where would you go?

Apr 9th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

April safari - where would you go?

I have previously asked for advice on Botswana specific safaris and received excellent feedback. For those of you who have been to multiple countries during multiple seasons, and assuming that April was the only time you could go on safari (7 days), where would you go - Botswana, SA, Tanzania or Kenya (or some other)? I am also planning 4-5 nights in Capetown.

Game viewing is key (if I just wanted a luxury lodge experience I could go many other places).

Thanks again.
Apr 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM
santharamhari

Best gameviewing for April......i would think of SA......Botswana, the rains may hv just ended and the grasses may still be long.....however, good guides at good camps may still do a good job, but, getting reservations for right away may be a problem.

I would definitely consider SA for April.......right now, seems to have a lot of action around the ndutu area in the serengeti, so if you can go right away, you may hv some spectacular sightings there......

Hari

Apr 10th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

I should have been more specific - last two weeks of April 2007, not this year.
Apr 10th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hello,

April can be an interesting time of year to travel, as it's the brief bushveld autumn.

Given that you plan to spend time in Cape Town, I would definitely recommend Southern Africa (Botswana or SA). April is a bit cooler than the height of summer, and rain is less frequent though you may still get the odd afternoon shower.

In Botswana, I would focus on the Delta rather than the Linyanti. The Delta has great year-round game-viewing which is less dependent on dry season animal movements. You've said that game-vieiwng is key -- are there any particular animals you are hoping to see? Certain camps are known for sightings of particular species, so that would help in making a recommendation.

The Makgadikgadi Pans and Central Kalahari Game Reserve in Botswana are particularly wonderful that that time of year -- the desert really blooms and there is a lot of game around, including a mini-migration of wildebeest and zebra. 3-4 nights in the Delta plus 2-3 nights at Jack's or San would be a great April safari.

Guiding will be very important to make the most your experience (even more than at other times of year) due to the thick bush, so you would want to pick your camps with that in mind.

April is probably the best time of year to visit Cape Town, so you'll enjoy the best weather there. If you are interested in food and wine, definitely spend some time in the WInelands -- the vineyards are ablaze with colour in the autumn.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread