Appropriate dress for late June/early July in Israel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish ponters for both male and female attire in the hot weather in Israel for late June, early July. Thank you
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 06:07 AM

It'll be hot, so loose fitting attire is best for both: slacks, cropped/capri pants, skirts, long walking shorts, short sleeve shirts will work most places. A hat to protect from the strong sun and spf creme on exposed skin. Comfy shoes well broken in.

For visiting religious sites - temples, mosques, churches and observant communities - you have to be covered. No bare arms, legs; should have a scarf for headcovering.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:45 PM

I haven't been in mosques in Israel,but in mosques in other places, yes, women are expected to cover their heads, and sometimes scarves are offered. Sleeves covering your upper arms should be fine.

A woman isn't asked to cover her head when entering a church or a synagogue in Israel, though some married women certainly do in synagogues. Men are expected to cover their heads in synagogues. At one location in Jerusalem,not sure which one, an Orthodox contingent was in charge,and they offered both the women and the men, small skullcaps.

Drink lots of water, it's very dry there and you don't even realize you may be dehydrating.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:09 AM

Hi
It's very hot during the day. As Sandi said loose fitting clothes. Shorts, a light colored shirt. I wore tee shirts most of the time except in Jerusalem. Take water with you, you don't realize dehydration. A hat is a requirement for both the heat and if visiting synagogues. We would try to get back to our hotel around mid afternoon for a break. We were not on a group tour but traveled independently with a car, which made the scedule our own. Wear a good walking shoe too. Enjoy your trip. We are going back this Oct. again and will visit Petra this time.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:04 PM

Although it will be hot during the day, nights can still get chilly in Jerusalem and restaurants and other public places can be highly airconditioned (is that the right word??) So I always take a light jacket/scarf or some other layer to put on - take off.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM

Wear the same clothes you would wear visiting any hot climate. I suggest also bringing a sunhat (or baseball cap), sunglasses, and lots of sunblock cream.

I visited several religious places during my trip to Israel, and never noticed any rules about not having uncovered parts of the body. This included churches, synagogues, and two mosques I visited without a head covering (forgot to put one on). But if you are worried about this or if you just want to show respect, then dress more modestly on the days you will be visiting places of worship.

About synagogues: Head coverings are required for men, NOT for women. Synagogues loan scull caps to male visitors who need them, so this is not something your husband needs to pack, unless he has a favorite scull cap he wants to bring.

If you are concerned about fitting in: Most Israelis dress very informally, more informally than in the USA. The only areas you would look out of place would be the Orthodox religious neighborhoods. But most Israelis would also look out of place in that type of neighborhood.