Appropriate Dress

Jun 2nd, 2000, 07:35 AM
jill

Appropriate Dress

I will be in South Africa (mostly Pretoria) for about 3 months, July - September. I am very concerned as to how i should dress for all occations from dining out, going out at night to parties/pubs, going to the gym, going shopping. Would anyone be able to answer this question or refer me to a website or guide that can?

I'm also looking for information about Pretoria such as restaraunts, gyms, shopping.

thanks!!

Jun 8th, 2000, 04:30 AM
Tracy

I don't know of any website that can help you so I will try to give some guidance myself. July is end of winter and going into spring. The evenings and early mornings on the highveld in these months are chilly, but the days are clear so they can get quite warm about 25-30degrees Celsius - I'm not sure what that is in Fahrenheit. Given our climate and multi-cultural heritage SA is very relaxed about dress and just about anything goes. The big cities are very Westernised - as is most of the country. Appropriate dress will really depend on what you are doing, and whatever you felt comfortable in back home will be absolutely fine.

About Pretoria ... talk to locals and you might get some conflicting stories! Of late the city has experienced a revival of sorts. There are a lot of excellent local restaurants. I'm presuming that you will have a car at your disposal - getting around any SA city without one is very difficult. Pretoria is part of an area called the PWV and as such is serviced by excellent highways linking it in a 30minute drive to Sandton - the best shopping in Africa south of the equator! About a gym - your best bet is one of the chains. As with any big city a lot will depend on whereabout you will be staying. Hope this helps and you enjoy your stay.

Search this Thread