Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Appropriate clothing choice for women advisement, pls!

Jan 24th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Ladies,
Working on packing & have it pretty well honed down. I do have a few items I would like advisement on, pls. I am planning on going to tea in some of the nicer hotels in Eygypt & Jordan. I usually pack my knee length black skirt to go with a pretty sweater set. I have appropriate clothing packed for seeing the sights [shoulders & knees covered. Do I need a scarf to cover my head??]. Or should I just plan on wearing dressy pants to tea? Also sounds like I should leave my knee length khaki skirt home?? Can I wear a crochet knit sweater with shell underneath to dinner in the hotels or should that be left home as well? Thanks in advance for your kind advisements
Jan 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Every thing you have mentioned will work. Pick the items you feel best in and like the most.
As for a scarf - why not wait and get one or two here. They are inexpensive and beautiful. You can get some to match every outfit.
Jan 24th, 2010, 02:49 PM

We wore slacks and nice sweater for tea. And, as Debbie mentions, all you have are perfectly fine if you prefer "nice casual" for dinner rather than touring cloths. You can always toss a scarf into your bag (takes up no room) or find a nice one (or two or three) in Cairo or along the way. We purchased lots of these, great colors and even better prices for selves and gifts.
Jan 25th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your kind replies. Sandi, where did you go for tea & what was your experience? Kindest regards.
Jan 25th, 2010, 07:52 AM

We were in Luxor for tea. Can't recall hotel name (it's in my trip diary somewhere), but it was the big one facing the Corniche (Grcxx3 probably knows name). It was lovely.

We then headed to the outdoor terrace for stronger stuff to watch the boats, people and the sunset.
Jan 25th, 2010, 12:23 PM

sandi - Sounds like the Winter Palace in Luxor. Sounds like the only place there that might do an afternoon tea actually.

When/if the Cataract Hotel in Aswan reopens, it will no doubt also do tea, but it is undergoing a big renovation now.
Jan 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM

That's it Debbie... thanks!