Apartments in cape town area

Jan 24th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Apartments in cape town area

I've ben faithfully reading the posts re South Africa in this forum and gained a lot of information to help with my upcoming trip. There will be 5 of us who will be going to a safari at Zulu Nyala - a private lodge near Hluhluwe and then we'll spend 4 days in Cape Town.

We would like to rent an apartment, or house, that is within walking distance of some of the Capetown attractions. Our current plan is to spend a day at the Winelands, a day driving to Cape Point, and then a couple of days closer into the city.

Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Jan 24th, 2005, 10:16 AM

cecil,

I suggest that you look at Village and Life in the De Waterkant area

http://www.villageandlife.co.za/

Fantastic self catering cottages, flatlets or houses. Very quaint and well maintained. Right in the middle of where it is all happening. Close to many great little coffee houses and restaurants where you can have your morning breakfast seeing that these venues are self catering places of stay.
If you decide that this is where you want to stay (or for that matter wherever else you want to stay in Cape Town) then contact me and I am sure that I can arrange a substantially reduced rate for you by obtaining a tour operator commission which you can have with the greatest of pleasure as a discount to your accommodation costs. How's that for being a friendly Capetonian.

Hope this helps and also hope that you enjoy your stay in my city as well as the rest of South Africa.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi Selwyn,

Thanks so much for your offer, I checked the web site and these look great. I'll get in touch with you in the next few weeks, as soon as we figure out what works for us and let you know what we are interested in.

Cecil
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:47 PM

Cecil,

When going to the Village and Life website you will see that they have a list of places to stay. The one section to avoid is any apartment in the Waterkant Piazza. The Piazza building is designed in such a way that all the apartments are cramped and dark. :-< I do not recommend them at all. Rather look at the individual cottages and apartments.

Another point is that if I am going to help you obtain a discount please dont do any enquiries at V&L in your own name. The reason is that as soon as you have done the opening enquiry they will maintain that the initial enquiry was done by you the client and not by me the agent. Thereafter they wont allocate a commission to me which I eventually would pass on to you to enjoy as a discount. Thus if you dearly want to make enquiries then do so under another name but not under the name which you will eventually do the booking in. Please bear in mind that all that it takes from my side to help you is a telephone call to V&L followed by an email to you. I have absolutely no problems doing this for you or any Fodorite for that matter. Heavens all that it represents is 5 minutes of my time. I reckon I can obtain at least a 10% discount for you at V&L if we follow this path. In the same way I could obtain discounts for you (or for that matter any Fodorite) at most places of stay in Cape Town or on the Garden Route. I might even add this facility of obtaining discounts for visitors for the whole of SA however I dont know whether I have the capacity to do this in such a big way, after all there is a certain amount that one can do to freely help others and then one has to look after oneself. The discounts will not always add up to 10% as it all depends on each individual venue however it can range from 5% to 20% in the process.

You may ask why am I doing this? The answer is simple and that is that I cannot cope with the amount of tourguiding that I have to do based on referrals and internt enquiries, so its a case of "I am ok Jack" With that said I am a very proud South African who want my land to get better by the day and in the process I am really getting worried that South Africa is becoming known as a tourist destination that is expensive due to a strong Rand and weak Dollar. It might come as a surprise but I am in hugely in favour of us having a strong currency but then to remain competitive one has to take action in terms of maintaining trade, especially in tourism which represents 7% of the SA economy. With that said I will do anything to help anybody make it easier to visit our shores hence my doing all of the above which by the way I have been doing quietly for quite a while with many who have come to SA in the past. Thats just my South African style coming through. One could argue that certain establishments might not pass on the commissions to me which I pass out as discounts when they find out what I am doing however may I remind you that they are passing out these commissions to other agents anyway . With that said I do believe that as far as these establishments would be concerned if I bring the trade to them most will sacrifice the commssion that they would have had to anyway. Yup I am a maverick but I dont care because if it helps bring people to SA shores I would have attained my goal.

Enjoy doing your planning for your SA trip.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread