Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Anywhere to watch All Ireland in Nairobi (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/anywhere-to-watch-all-ireland-in-nairobi-642716/)

FMK Aug 29th, 2006 07:02 AM

Anywhere to watch All Ireland in Nairobi

Hi,

I am hoping that someone out there might be able to help me find somewhere to watch the All Ireland in Nairobi. I have found the name of an Irish bar called the Irish Pub and Restaurant and the address is Anniversary TWS Mezz Fl, University Way. However I haven't been able to find anything else about it.

I know it sounds ridiculous looking for an Irish pub when I am on my hols in Kenya but it's a really important footbal match and a big big deal and I can't believe that I am missing it. We never thought that we would get this far this year so didn't worry about booking our trip around the match. I think Imelda you will understand (though I'm thinking that you are from Kerry and I am from Mayo but am sure you know all the heartbreak we have felt over the last few years!).

On a seperate note I have to say how helpful this site has been. We booked our trip without doing much research at all and only came across this afterwards and have found the information top class.

We are going on safari to Tanzania with Guerba taking in the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Olduvai Gorge and Lake Manyara for 6 nights. Then we are back to Nairobi for a night and then off to the Masi Mara for 2 nights. Here we are staying with a local tribe in one of their manyattas for the two nights. We thought this sounded great at the time but now not so sure at all! We wanted to do something cultural but think that we are only realising now what we have let ourselves in for. (We are two 25 year old Irish girls who are not at all used to roughing it! It could be good for us though!!) Then we are back to Nairobi for the night - this is the day of the All Ireland so will be able to catch it in Nairobi. We are staying in the Pan Afric there so even if someone could suggest a good internet cafe there we could watch it on the net. Then we are heading to Lamu to chill for 6 nights staying in the Peponi Hotel.

Thanks for any help or suggestions - very much appreciated!
Fiona

LyndaS Aug 29th, 2006 09:22 PM

Hi FMK-

I have no idea about the pub myself, but I do have a friend that I am in contact with in Nairobi - I will email him and ask him if you like - give me a few days for an answer. He knows Imelda too, so I will explain & I am sure he can help out with a reccomendation for you! %%- ((B))
The Pan Afric is a nice hotel - we had sundowners there.

OnlyMeOirish Aug 30th, 2006 12:06 AM

Hey Fiona - You poor thing missing the All Ireland but if there is somewhere in Nairobi showing it Kennedy (Lyndas friend) will be able to find it ..... now for the surprise.... I'm from MAYO (Mighty mighty Mayo!!!!!) - outside Castlebar. Where are you???? We're hoping to get tickets for the match - after last weekend there's no way I'm missing it! Were you there on Sunday??

Imelda

FMK Aug 30th, 2006 12:20 AM

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help! I am devastated that I am missing the match (have actually cried over it!) and I was looking forward to going to Kenya so much. Silly as it sounds I would cancel or come home early with out a doubt except I am going with a friend of mine who couldn't care less about any match and there is no way I could do that to her.

Imelda I am from Castlebar too!!!! I was at the match on Sunday. OH MY GOD! Unbelievable!! I have never experienced an atmosphere like that in my life. It was only after when reading the papers and watching repeats of the match that realised what a good game of football it was. So proud! Fingers crossed that can go all the way this year. I'm kinda hoping (for the most selfish reasons) that it is a draw cos I will be home the following Sunday and will be able to make it to Croker if it was a replay. At least I had last Sunday - what a day and what a night!!

Thanks again for the help,
Fiona

matnikstym Aug 30th, 2006 12:33 AM

You would cancel Africa or leave early just to watch a football game? Are you nuts or what??? ;) If this is your first trip to Africa, when you get there, football will be the last thing on your mind! What/who is All Ireland? Go Niners! :)

OnlyMeOirish Aug 30th, 2006 01:06 AM

Oh Marty,
If you were a Mayo fan you would understand the 'leave a day early' issue! Basically, there are 32 counties in Ireland (like US states) and each has a football team. It's different from soccer, much more physical - a bit like aussie rules but not QUITE as physical as that. Anyways, our County - Mayo, has made the finals a few times in the last 10 years or so but hasn't actually won an 'All-Ireland' (the final) in 55 years and this time we have a real chance. We played the semi-final last Sunday and beat a team who thought they would walk all over us but didn't! It was nail-biting stuff and some people were heard to say on TV that if they lived to be 100 they would never see a game like it again! So it is a <u><b> BIG,</b></u> deal and I can understand Fionas dissapointment at not being there BUT Fiona, I definately have to say, I hope that Mayo win it outright and it's not a draw .... don't think I could go through two more heart stopping matches! And IF they do win it you will be coming back from a trip of a lifetime to some Super atmosphere - Castlebar will most definately close down for a few days!!!! Fiona, you are going to have an AMAZING time in Africa and the All-Ireland hopefully will be the icing on the cake!

Fiona, please tell me your travel companion isn't from Mayo (no interest in football!). What a small world!!!

Imelda

FMK Aug 30th, 2006 01:35 AM

Hi!

I know it sounds so ridiculous but it is the biggest deal ever! Apparently Mayo had a curse put on them the last time they won in 1951 because there was too much celebrating and they haven't won it since. I am really looking forward to going to Kenya and know it will be amazing but I hardly ever miss a mayo match and this could be the one that we are all waiting for!!

No my poor friend isn't from Mayo and god love her she has had to put up with me going on about it enough! Think she wishes that we lost ages ago. It's a bit mad alright Imelda! I was reading your trip report and telling my friend about this Irish woman who went on the wrong plane(that was as far as I had read at the time) and never thought that you would be from Castlebar!

Hopefully someone will be able to advise where best to watch the match - even a good internet cafe where we can watch it on the net.

Thanks a million,
Fiona

LyndaS Aug 31st, 2006 09:40 PM

FMK-
Stay tuned, but I have some info on the pub - Kennedy said it is a good one to go to - he knows of it - more info coming in a few days - so check back on this thread, OK?

FMK Sep 1st, 2006 01:30 AM

Hi Lynda,

Thanks for the info. Will keep checking the thread until the day we leave (next Thursday).

Thanks again,
Fiona

LyndaS Sep 4th, 2006 10:19 AM

Sorry Fiona this took a bit to get back to you!

But here is all of the info that Kennedy has given me -

First off, Kennedy said that he will take you and your friend to the Irish Pub, he knows of it and would gladly take you from your hotel to there if you would like - this way you don't have to worry about getting there. His exact words were to say ' karibu sana' which means you are welcome - he did not mean that you have to book anything with him, you are welcome to email and arrange this with him if you like! His email is:
Kennedy (Waymark Safaris)
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]
Phone # 0722 70 27 69 or 0733 362 140 -
He said he would do his best to help you guys out! (he really is a SPECTACULAR guy!) Or, if you are more comfortable jumping in a taxi - he said it would be about 500 ksh each way - just ask at Pan Afric to arrange this - the driver will take you there, and then come back for you when you are done.

He has checked all of the phone directories for the number of the Irish Pub, but cannot locate it, so he called the Anniversary Towers building (where it is located), was given a number of 22 30 20, but, it isn't going through so far. He'll keep trying though - he was trying to find out if they indeed are going to watching the match there.

The pub is 1 km from your hotel - not a far distance at all!

Just in case they are not open any longer or something like that - he said watching a sports channel in Nairobi at many places is an easy task.

And, failing all else - he said tell the waiters at the pan Afric that you really want to watch this match &amp; they will say 'it is our pleasure Madam' - they have many TV's at the restaurant.

And, it's a good restaurant by the way - Kennedy took us for sundowners there - I was impressed by the hotel and I think I would stay there next time - you'll enjoy it - it was really 'rockin' when we were there with a band called 'Kayamba Afrika'.

Kennedy also told us it was the best place for breakfast in town - we were going to go, but needed to shower after just arriving at 8:30 and opted to skip breakfast. But next time!

Do email him though - he's waiting to hear from you on any questions you may have!

Oh - and HAVE a great trip - we would all like to hear where you are going!!!

I'd appreciate it if you could let me know that you have rec'd this info before you go.

LyndaS Sep 4th, 2006 11:17 AM

Oh oh guys, just got an email from Kennedy - for sure the Irish pub has closed down, but Kennedy said no problem - just go to the Flametree restaurant in the Pan Africa and ask them to put it on the sports channel - they will gladly do it!

LyndaS Sep 5th, 2006 12:06 PM

Fiona-
Are you still out there? Hope you got this info????

Lynda

FMK Sep 6th, 2006 12:39 AM

Hi Lynda,

Sorry I haven't replied before now - things just got very busy!

Thank you for all the information. It's a pity the Irish pub has closed down. Could have been fun watching the match there. Will definitely ask in the hotel to see if they can get it and if not I have the radio frequencies for east africa so one way or another I will be able to cheer on Mayo!!

I really appreciate all the effort that you and Kennedy went to. Could you please pass on my thanks to him for me.

Thanks a million,
Fiona