Tunisia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:26 PM
DC

Tunisia

<BR>I will be in Tunis in early October. I wonder if anyone knows of any good one day tours in English? Either group or individual would be fine. <BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>DC

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:44 AM
fiona

Wish I'd thought to ask for recommendations before I went! We took a couple of tours where the guide had to speak 4 different languages and English was always last and the information was very sparse. The French however seemed to get very detailed info. We had the feeling that locals are not too fond of British/American people. Both guides although friendly towards others ignored the Brits on board. It was one of the few times where we deliberately did not tip at the end of the day.<BR>So make sure that your tour is ONLY in English!! BTW I loved Tunisia.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Professional Traveler

My wife and I were there in May for a week. We had a small tour of only 11 passengers and it was also in 4 languages. However, it was terrific. The guide was terrific and the languages were rotated (except near the end when he got fed up with the Brazilians and left them until last); my wife can understand 2 of the others and we all got essentially the same information and patter.<BR><BR>The local Tunisians were as friendly as any I have met.<BR><BR>SO now you have two opinions which average out to something else I guess.<BR><BR>As for 1 day trips, I would suggest sticking close. Visit the Bardo Museum with Roman moasics which will knock your socks off. Carthage and Sidi Bou Said are a worthwhile half day as well.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:28 AM
fiona

professional<BR>It wasn't really the 4 languages that was the problem for us, it was the fact that English was last and we did NOT get the same amount of information as others. Your trips were obviously a lot better. Perhaps you can remember the name of the tour company for DC?( Unfortunately I can't remember mine)

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:14 PM
howihatethis

OMG, English was last!!! What a disgrace.<BR>Why do you English-speaking people always think the whole world turns around YOU? <BR>Please bear in mind that the second language in Tunisia is French and that not so many people speak English. The ones who do will probably have limited knowledge only. <BR>I would recommend to hire an English speaking private guide in the future, so that all his attention will be only for you.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:28 PM
fiona

howihatethis(people like you never give out their name- I wonder why!?)<BR> If you hate this why are you reading it? Your post gives no help at all to DC. I was trying to give DC some helpful advice. I am well aware that French is the second language. But it happened to be busloads where the majority were English speaking,the tour guides could speak perfectly good English,but chose not to give the same amount of information in English. <BR>Prof traveller had a more positive experience with his tour guide. Perhaps he can pass on the name of the tour company. My advice about getting an English only tour is so that he/she can avoid a similar experience to mine. For example, I learned most about Carthage through my guide book than anything the guide managed to tell us.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:52 PM
rob

fiona<BR>ignore the nameless poster! I notice that people who make comments against others never actually give any worthwhile advice to the original poster.<BR>DC<BR>I second the Sidi Bou Said(spelling?). Its a lovely little village, pretty blue and white houses- rather commercial though. Have you thought about venturing out into the desert? Its really good fun.The tours there involve an overnight stay. We loved Tunis itself(we took a tour there)

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:19 AM
DC

<BR>Thanks for the help and the cautions, however, I wonder if anyone remembers the names of the tours or whether they found them at a hotel or tourist center?<BR>And is it possible to arrange for a more private tour?