Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Anyone stayed at Imbali or used Safari Lodges to book reservation?

Anyone stayed at Imbali or used Safari Lodges to book reservation?

Oct 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Anyone stayed at Imbali or used Safari Lodges to book reservation?

Our family is still looking into safari lodges for April (see earlier post). Due to budget limits, we were considering Elephant Plains, Inyati, or Chitwa Chitwa's Safari Lodge.

I read in an earlier post of someone (maybe Rocco?)using attractiveafrica.com. So I submitted a request for rates and suggestions from them. I just received a reply from Safari and Game Lodges, which I assume is somehow related.

This agent quoted me a rate of R1625 each per night for Imbali Safari Lodge. I checked other travel agency rates for this lodge and they were all around R3850. This is a huge discount, so I'm wondering why.

Has anyone stayed at Imbali before? When I did a search here at Travel Talk, nothing came up. Interestingly, the travel agent did state that the game viewing would not be as good as in Sabie Sand or Thornybush. She is actually recommending Nkorho (which I already know is unavailable for our dates)and Tangala. So if anyone is familiar with Imbali, this region of Kruger, or this Travel Company, I would appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks again!
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to clarify - Safari Lodges of SA is not related to Attractive Africa. I sent a request to Attractive Africa and numerous other tour companies, and somehow got a reply from Ronel at this Safari Lodges company. I don't recall requesting info from them. Has anyone heard of them or used them before? Some of the rates they've quoted me are much better than what I can find elsewhere, which makes me wonder: are they too good to be true? Do I have to worry about scams?

If they are legitimate, we'd like to consider Hamilton's Tent Camp in Kruger, based on the photos, description and discounted rates. (R1980 vs. R4400 elsewhere). After looking into the lodges, I realized Hamiltons was much more appealing to me than nearby Imbali. But I am confused since this agent tells me that the game viewing will not be as good in this part of Kruger. Any thoughts on how Hamilton's would compare to Elephant Plains in Sabie, or Tangala in Thornybush? Based on price and availability, this is what we seem to have narrowed it down to.

Many thanks!
Nov 7th, 2005, 11:37 PM

Hi,
Have tried to reply previously, will see if I have better luck
I've used Safari Lodges (www.safarilodges.co.za) a few times to book and they're very good. You'll find that they handle bookings for some of the lodges.
I've been to Tangala twice - great experience with super game viewing - the guide (Jimmy) that was there last year was great. Elephant sightings like I've never had before. The only place that beat their leopard sightings was Londolozi. Just be prepared - Tangala has no electricity (if that's one of your requirements).
Sabi Sand is always good. I went to Nkorho a year ago and although we didn't see leopards, we saw some great game - including a cheetah. Always a gamble, but Thornybush and Sabi Sand's always good.
Hamilton's - it will depend on their traversing rights as well as where they're situated within Kruger - that will have an impact on the quality of game viewing at Hamiltons.
Nov 8th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Hi Erin44,

I've just registered to the forum to answer your questions, I've been reading for a while but never felt I could contribute. But, funny enough, I booked my trip trough Safari Lodges, they contact me because I was sending emails to different lodges, they service was really good, every booking went really smooth (lodges and transfers), I think they offer good prices because they have previous arrengements with the lodges, and when the ldoges increase the prices they are not affected.
We stayed at Hamilton's and it was great, the lodge is beatiful, it's set up using "walkways", and the animals go under them all the time, we had elephants around the camp everyday. The lodge is small and overlooks a river(that was dry last october), I don't know how much water will be there when you visit. The managing couple was going out of their way to please us. On the not so positive side was the fact that since the lodge is in the Kruger Park driving off-road is not allowed, i guess this is better for the environment but is not so great to get close to the animals.
I hope this helps.

Search this Thread