Airline Tipsters Question on Tanzania Airfare

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites! After 10 years I am heading back to East Africa (Tanzania this time) and have prebooked the entire safari for Late May (starting on May 18 for 8 days) the best route if Los Angeles to A'dam and on to Arusha on KLM. Question, WHEN should I book the air portion? I would love to wait until after the holidays but is that a bad idea? Appreciate any advise. Thanks!
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM

What kind of fare are you finding now for May travel - LAX/AMS/JRO? A few weeks ago, I saw a fare of $1,650 out of JFK which is pretty much the going rate.

As KLM is the only airline, other than Ethiopian Air out of Washington, DC (IAD) that flies into Kilimanjaro/JRO... so their prices are what they are. ET is a bit less expensive.

Many choose to fly into Nairobi/NBO Kenya which is served by more carriers - British, Virgin, KLM, Swiss, Emirates, Brussels, Turkish - at more competitive (lower) fares. Once here you can do a road transfer (cheapest, but also 6/hrs) or a flight (1/hr, about $285 one-way).

There really isn't a right answer as no one knows if/when airlines will lower (rare) fares. I usually have an idea of what I wish to pay (based on review of fares) and when I see it, buy and then forget about it.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 02:21 PM

I've gone 3 times in Feb/Mar 2008, 2009, 2011 and usually pay around $1700 to $1800 for SFO to JRO. From my experience, prices on KLM don't seem to vary much but I always book 6 to 9 months in advance. Also check Delta prices as they go up and down more.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, right now the going rate from LAX is about 1800 give or take.. but hope springs eternal I think that I would prefer to go the LAX A'DAM ARUSHA route rather then then via Nairobi. just for convenience sake. Thanks so much.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM

FWIW , I flew KLM LAX-AMS-JRO in Feb of 2011 for $1808. Made reservation Dec 2. A couple weeks before Dec saw same flights for $1700.

My safari friends I joined with in Arusha, but not starting from LA, stayed overnight AMS hotel and took next day the one/day KLM flight AMS-JRO.

regards - tom
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 06:20 AM

The fares mentioned are all within range. So it's up to you when to purchase and then just leave it be. If fares goes up... you got a deal, if it goes down a few $$s, don't sweat it.

And, as a reminder the route is LAX/AMS/<b>JRO</b>... Arusha is a 45/min to 1/hr drive West of JRO, so be sure your outfitter is providing meet/greet and transfer to Arusha, as I assume you're spending night of arrival here or nearby.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 07:13 AM

If last year is any gauge, waiting till after the holidays wont hurt as May fares were steady, while June-August fares rose.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM

If you're willing to fly to Nairobi and make separate arrangements from there, Turkish Airlines is running about $1125 LAX to Nairobi, plus $368 r/t Nairobi to Kilimanjaro on Precision Air. Certainly not as convenient, but if there are more than one of you the savings might make it worth it.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 12:23 PM

tjandre3

Issue with the Turkish flight (as above total $1493) is that it arrives early morning (believe 12:30-1am), and you can't get the flight to JRO till next morning... earliest 8am, then believe next is about 12N. You either hang at the airport (not the most pleasant) or need a hotel and Kenya Transit Visa ($20) and the Yellow Fever inoculation for eventual entry to Tanzania.

For a possible savings of $200 +/-... is it really worth it?

Pros/Cons regardless which carrier,
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM

details, details, details, that's where the devil lives

regards - tom
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 01:52 AM

www.farecompare.com best info on snagging best airfare

for me Tues PM in Late Jan when everyone drops and matches

sales almost always best...

also use kayak.com/buzz and cheapoair.com for good deals/sales

Happy Hunting!
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Wow thanks guys, hadn't checked the post for a few days. Delightful information. Farecompare.. fantastic, thanks Qwovadis! Super helpful. Yeah, I don't see us going through Kenya this time out. Too much hassle, I would rather pay a little extra for the more streamlined trip. Last time we went to Kenya we went this horrible but cheap route LAX-LAS VEGAS-NYC-A'DAM-NAIROBI... OMG that was a nightmare of epic proportions.. seems like the journey was longer then the safari! What we did do right was spent a few nights in A'dam on the way back (10 years ago people still had to develop film, anyone remember that? HEHE) time enough to drink beer and look at what seemed to be a million dollars worth of developed pictures. Thanks again!