Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Anyone have tummy trouble in SA or Botswana? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/anyone-have-tummy-trouble-in-sa-or-botswana-437910/)

Ericka Jun 1st, 2004 04:44 PM

Anyone have tummy trouble in SA or Botswana?

We're thinking of a SA/Botswana trip and are curious if anyone has had any traveler's diarrhea? Is it OK to drink the water?

We're very accustomed to all of the preventative measures if it is an issue (just returned from Bali and avoided Bali-belly).

Wulfstan Jun 1st, 2004 07:02 PM

Ericka:

Where are heading? Wife and I just came back from Botswana on safari and South Africa. On safari everyone drinks from bottles of water. In South Africa we drank/brushed teeth from the tap. Had no problems at all. Also did Bali in the same trip and avoided Bali Belly as well by just drinking from bottles of water. Hope this helps.

ArthurSA Jun 1st, 2004 11:03 PM

It is often and widely reported that South Africa is one of only 12 countries where water can be drunk safely from the tap, and that is has been judged the 3rd best in the World. Although I confess I've been unable to find the source of those stats, or even then name of the other countries.

In any event, every now and then a South African newspaper does a blind tasting of the tap water against expensive bottled waters, and the former ranks higher than most of the latter!

We are fortunate in that the catchment areas are generally high in the mountains and away from industrial zones.

I don't know about Botswana.

sandi Jun 2nd, 2004 03:46 AM

In SA we drank tap water everywhere - no problems. In Botswana, we used bottled water - no problems.

In those countries were it is suggested you drink bottle water, this is available for purchase everywhere (inexpensive) and most often provided free at the camps.

But if ever unsure, anywhere, go with bottled water.

Clematis Jun 3rd, 2004 09:21 PM

We did not have any problems with this in Africa (SA and Botswana and Zambia).

Ericka Jun 6th, 2004 12:28 PM

Thanks everyone. Good news, indeed. There is always air sickness, though, isn't there?!?

I've heard all your stories about the small planes. :-)

JackieSun Jun 7th, 2004 07:22 PM

Our Botswana camps recommended we drink bottled water - just for safety. Our systems are not use to their chemicals / minerals.
We did well with the food up until the last camp. Did have one night when dinner did not stay down.

Ericka Jun 9th, 2004 04:28 AM

JackieSun,
Sorry to hear you were sick on your trip. Just curious, did both of you get sick the one evening? If so, you may have had a case of legitimate food poisoning. Which lodge/camp were you staying with at the time?

JackieSun Jun 9th, 2004 05:45 PM

My husband did not get sick...just me. I did not eat that much exotic food. For dinner I had eaten the potatoes, zuccini, and bread. The zuccini tasted bitter.
Needless to say - it did not stay down long.
It was the last night of our trip. All other meals during the trip were fine.