Panasonic Fz30 camera case

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panasonic Fz30 camera case

Hello again,
Can anyone rec. a good camera case to carry my Fz30 and other stuff that you think should accompany my camera. I didn't buy the nonspecific case that was rec. by butterfly. We will be getting at least 1 photo vest for DH, as well.

Also, after reading other threads I'm thinking of bringing my 3m.p. coolpix as a backup. Do you think that's a waste - I don't want to buy another camera but will always consider advise from those who are in the know.
Thanks;
Sherry
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:19 AM
sandi

Bring your back-up camera, even if lower mp... you never know. We traveled with a combined total of 5 cameras (digital [low optical and 10X] and 35mm) between three travelers. Surprisingly, photos taken with the lower mp (and less optical range) came out fine and more often than not we were close enough to animals it didn't matter. If you never use it, at least you have it; don't forget the extra battery/ies and charger for this camera.

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

One more thing - sorry. I can't seem to find batteries online for the Fz30 -there's Fz20 which I'm not sure are comprable. I'd like a lesser expense than panasonic if possible. I know there's thread out there but I can't find it.
Best
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:48 AM

Lowepro has a good range of camera bags in all sizes, so you should find one just right for you.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 08:09 AM
bat

hi cybor:
I do not have your answer about less expensive batteries--I am watching for it. We received our FZ30 yesterday--what, including quantity, have you decided to take as extras--memory, batteries, charger etc.
Thanks
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM

I found this thread about generic battery from Battery barn:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/arc...p/t-13109.html

They didn't seem to love the battery, but the price looks good. Here's the store link:

http://www.batterybarn.com/cgas006.htm

For what it's worth, I think that VidPro and Power2000 are the same thing, and my Power2000 battery for the Fz20 works fine.

As for cases, you can read this long thread about the Fz20 which should give you some ideas:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1871

-Matt
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 03:05 PM

Bat & Cybor:
You're going to love the FZ30! I've been working some with mine, and think it's going to be great when we finally get to Africa (62 days!!!) I'm getting better every day, although when I first started I was kind of intimidated by it. Still need lots of work, but if you want to see a couple of my more recent non-safari shots:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&h=1&y=-zee8ay

If anyone can critique the shots, I would be grateful!

I'll be bringing 2 batteries, 2 1-gig mem cards, the battery charger, and the epson p2000 with charger. I'm just going to use the case I had for my Nikon. Because we don't have to carry extra lenses, there's plenty of space for wipes, camera manual, sunscreen etc.

I would love to see some of your practice shots too, if you feel like sharing.

Cyn

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:59 PM

cyn-I'd recommend taking 3 batteries, you'll be taking lots of photos and don't want to run out of battery power. two to take with you on the drives and one always in the charger, changing it after each return to camp
Dennis
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:19 PM

Hi, Sherry,

I will be taking my new FZ-30 to Zambia with me in just over three weeks from now. I have purchased two Battery Barn spare batteries for this camera and am delighted with their output. I have used Power2000 batteries by Vidpro for some time now and have no complaints. (Others may use the batteries differently, under different conditions, and may not have the same experiences I have had.) The only problem I have ever had with my batteries was at the end of their life cycle or in very cold weather

As for a case for the FZ-30, I needed one not just to hold my FZ-30 in transit, but also to hold the 24mm wideangle conversion lens for this camera, as well as my backup camera, the tiny Leica D-Lux 2. The FZ-30's wideangle lens and the little Leica are nested in their own cases -- very small Lowepro hip pouches. I wanted a shoulder carrying case that could carry all of this equipment, plus my two battery chargers, three spare batteries and memory card case in as small and light a bag as possible. (I need such a carrying case only for transit situations, not for use in the field. In the field, I will wear the wideangle and Leica pouches on my belt and carry the FZ-30 on a wrist strap and leave the carrying case back in the tent.)

I checked out the Tamrac and Lowepro options, but their cases and pouches were either too big or too small for my specific equipment. While shopping at REI, however, I found an Eagle Creek padded nylon product called a "Padded Digicase." It holds 250 cubic inches, and is 6.5 inches x 10 inches x 5 inches in size. All of this equipment fits in it like a hand in a glove. The two cameras and the lens are stored in the main compartment, and the batteries, chargers and cards fit into the large outside pocket.

You can see the bag and buy it on line at:

http://www.eaglecreek.com/40217.html

It comes in four colors, black, navy, garnet, and bamboo.

By the way, I recently switched to the FZ-30 from the FZ-20, and used it for the first time in Mexico last month while shooting the Day of the Dead festival. You can view examples of my first FZ-30 images in my latest pbase teaching gallery posted at: http://www.pbase.com/pnd1/festivals. All of the shots in that gallery but one were made with this camera.

Good luck, Sherry.

Phil
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:31 PM
bat

cybor:
I am jumping in because it is the same camera---phil tell me more about the 24mm wide angle conversion lens--that is all I know to say --tell me more! Thanks [p.s. thanks cyn, too]
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 09:49 PM

Hi, Bat,

The 24mm wideangle conversion lens for the FZ-30 is made by Panasonic. It costs about $200 in the US. You don't need a special adapter tube for it like other camera's conversion lenses. It screws on to the threads on the front of the FZ-30s zoom lens. To use it, you screw it on and then must rotate your zoom ring to the wideangle end of the zoom. (35mm). The lens has excellent definition, and very little edge distortion. (You can't zoom the lens out with the wideangle on it, because the picture gets fuzzy. You must keep it at its wideangle setting on the zoom ring.)

It only weighs about 6 ounces, which is very light for a conversion lens. The conversion lens does not have threads on the front of it to mount a filter to protect the glass. You need to keep the lens cap on it when it is not in use.

I got mine on line from B&H in New York. I ordered it in October when I got the FZ-30. It was backordered, and Panasonic finally shipped it out to me in mid-November. I note that B&H is now out of stock on this item. I guess their supply quickly sold out. You can either try to find it at another camera store or ask B&H to put on its wait list. Here is a link to the B&H page on that lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

(Note that Panasonic also makes a 28mm wideangle conversion lens for the FZ-20. It is not as wide as the lens for the FZ-30, and it is much heavier. It will not fit on the FZ-30, either.)

Hope this helps, Bat.

Phil
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Well I must say you've all given me some excellent info.

So for now, here's what I'm doing:
I'll bring my coolpix as a backup - check out battery barn and get 2 battery's for my Fz30 (these I'm gathering are the same generics as used for the Fz20 - the battery # is different) and 1 for the coolpix. - check out the rec. sites for a camera bags and as go to REI as I need to pick up ordered stuff anyhow. I've ordered 3 - 1gb high speed cards and 2-1gb reg. speed cards - I have a 512 and the miniscule one that came with the camera. I will bring 2 cd's just in case to download: I'll only be in 1 lodge during safari (Ngo. Wildlife) and hotels after safari - are most of the computers up to date with windows etc.? I'll bring a duster, 2 filters,baggies, camera hood and anything else you think I may need.

Still have to get adapters for lighter, outlets and an extra charger if nec.

Cyn - I couldn't get into your site - your perfect bunny intrigued me.

Phil - Your photos, as always, are so beautifully done and make me feel transported. The colors,the people, the festivity. Did you use your new wide angle? When are you coming to New England for a pre safari photo class?

Many Thanks;
Sherry
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:35 AM
bat

Thanks Phil and Sherry:
more stuff to spend money on!
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Phil,

Great photos, and particularly like the shadows on the wall and the smokey incense... mesmerizing. After you go to New England, head on down to Austin to give your next class!
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Cyn - not a bunny, a chipmunk, perhaps. Sorry.
Peace;
S
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Cybor:
Yep, it's a chipmunk. What happens with the rest? Under the chipmunk, is the thumbnail-bar there? Maybe clicking on each of those? There's only 12 photos total.

When do you leave for Africa?

Cyn
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Sherry:
I may have set it so you had to sign in (my bad). Try this:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&h=1&y=-hp746l

Cyn
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Got in Cyn. Looks like your getting some nice shots. Close ups are great. What's with that poor kitty - no I'm kidding. We're leaving Feb. 10.
Sherry
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Sherry:
Isn't "that poor kitty" so funny? Because I wasn't using a flash, her movements as she was "talking" to me blurred in the photo, and created my demento-girl. She does make me laugh!

We leave Feb 3. I am really getting excited!

Cyn
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Thanks, Sherry and bat and wjsonl, for your kind comments on my photographs. As for those classes, I would welcome all of you, but you'll have to come here to Arizona to take them. (I spent 1971-1994 on the road with my workshops, but since 1995 I've limited my travels to photographic adventures and do all my teaching right here at home!)

Sherry: An important point: the batteries for the FZ 20 will NOT work in the FZ 30. They are entirely different in design and size.

Phil