Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Anyone had travel insurance & would you recommend it?

Anyone had travel insurance & would you recommend it?

Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:49 AM
SG

Anyone had travel insurance & would you recommend it?

We are independent travelers and have traveled through several continents but have never had travel insurance. For those who have visited Africa & Middle East, did you purchase travel insurance? Was it inclusive of your tour or did you purchase insurance separately? Would you recommend it to fellow visitors? How much can we expect to pay? Thanks so much.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:20 PM
kavey

I never travel without insurance.

Although I don't intend to claim for minor losses I do want assurance that should I suffer major theft (all luggage and camera equipment) or, worse still, need urgent medical treatment including either long stay at my destination or repatriation to my home with high medical bills etc or perhaps even somehow cause an accident and become liable for millions in damage that this will not have to come out of my own pocket.

Also insurance covers cancellation costs should I have to cancel the holiday for one of a number of reasons.

I haven't yet claimed, but the small cost of insurance compared with the trip itself has always been worth it to me.

Before buying compare carefully the cover itself. Not just the maximum amounts for each category (medical, luggage, cancellation, liability) but also the excess and single item limit.

For example in some policies you can't claim for any single item over £200 but some of my photography equipment is more than that even if I claim for body and lens separately.

In some policies you have to pay excess of a cetain amount on EACH item you claim for.

Some allow you to claim for lost cash and expenses for getting new passports, others dont.

Decide what you want to be covered for the most and search and cost accordingly.

I usually buy annual trip insurance (annual cover but no trip longer than 30 days) as it's much much cheaper.

We also often get family cover for the two of us as a couple for little more than individual cover costs.

Kavey

PS Most policies will not pay out for losses incurred due to war, political issues, "act of god" - natural disaster.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:08 PM
Liz Frazier

SG-
Agree with Kavey 100%. We buy coverage for each trip. Usually use Travel Guard but there are others as well known. For Africa you need the extra medical evacuation coverage because your trip does not include any of that insurance. That's a lot of money hanging out there in an unsure world without it. Since Sept. 11 most companies mention terrorist attacks in their coverage and if it is in the country you are visiting then cancellation may be included for that. Just compare and see what is right for you. It actually is quite cheap compared to the cost of the trip. In fact that is what the premium is based on. Good luck. Liz

Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:43 AM
gail

We bought insurance for trip to Egypt last year. Our main concern was medical evacuation/treatment. I think if any of us had become seriously ill in Egypt, we would have preferred to be treated outside the country. Also, it must cost a zillion dollars to medically transport person from Africa to US

It was an add-on to our tour cost. People say you can get it cheaper by buying it separately, but we did not bother to search.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:26 AM
Alee

I looked for insurance for weeks before my trip to S. Africa/Namibia in May but coiuldn't find a suitable plan. Can someone recommend a good insurance company?

Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:29 AM
Thyra

I agree that it is a great idea to purchase travel insurance...however, I have never done so, usually as I am on a very tight budget purchasing additional travel insurance tips the scale out of our range..(of course you are kind of risking loosing the entire investment for your trip). However for Africa, we did sign up for the Flying Doctor's Society which is a non-profit group of western doctors, who perform medical operations and treatment on rural villagers in Kenya. For $50.00 pp you get a free airlift to a western hospital (They will actually take you all the way to the UK if warrented), and medical treatment.They have 24 hour radio service and a host of other benefits and of course your donation goes to keep the program in operation. To my knowledge they are only in Kenya, but you could check it out. I certainly would not have gone on safari without some kind of coverage for medical evacuation. (which can run you $50,000) To my mind, if we loose money that's one thing, but I wouldn't want to get into a car accident and be stuck! Oh, one other thing to be really careful about when booking insurance, many companies I checked out while doing research, will only cover provider bankruptcy, if you get the insurance within a set amount of time from when you make your first deposit. For instance if you book today with a tour operator, you would have to get your insurance within 10 days for it to cover tour operator financial problems. Good luck and read the fine print!

Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:20 PM
SG

Thanks everyone for the great advice. The people who is booking my flights recommended www.quotesmith.com

This site offers all kinds of insurance. I haven't gotten insurance yet so I don't have much info to offer but check it out. Thanks to your suggestions, I'll definitely read the fine prints and make sure the coverage is comprehensive.

Search this Thread