Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Anyone had to disembark the aircraft in Dakar enroute to Jo'burg?

Anyone had to disembark the aircraft in Dakar enroute to Jo'burg?

Apr 24th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Anyone had to disembark the aircraft in Dakar enroute to Jo'burg?

In 18 days we're flying South African Airlines (SAA) from Washington, DC, to Johannesburg via Dakar for fuel. Passengers to Johannesburg remain on the aircraft during the Dakar fuel stop. I was a military pilot. I flew several missions from point A to point C with a stop for fuel mid-way at point B where my aircraft experienced a mechanical problem on the ground at point B necessitating an 8-24 hour delay for repairs. Bad weather delayed my departure from Point B a few times, too. Does anyone know of an instance where SAA had to disembark all the passengers from the aircraft at Dakar because of a long delay? I ask because we don't have plans to receive a Yellow Fever vaccine. If we had to disembark at Dakar, which is in Africa's YF belt, would we need to show a YF certificate to board the aircraft for continuation to Johannesburg?
Apr 25th, 2014, 05:13 AM

Take a look here for some old discussion:

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...e-400292-3.cfm

At one point it was the case that arriving by plane with a stop was OK.

Are you sure you stop in Dakar in both directions? We only stopped on the return flight.
Apr 25th, 2014, 09:03 AM

I've never heard of passengers from that routing being offloaded at Dakar. SA recently updated their YF policy to specify that passengers in transit for up to 12 hrs at an airport in an at-risk country do not need a YF certificate.

I wouldn't worry about a possible problem that would require your entering Senegal and consequently needing a cert. SA has the latitude to allow passengers to enter while putting them under quarantine surveillance. QS means you would be allowed to enter while being advised that should you become ill you would need to report it to, and perhaps visit, a medical facility.

SAA stops in Dakar each way between IAD and JNB.
Apr 26th, 2014, 08:34 AM

I flew to Johannesburg via Dakar and we stayed on the plane both there and back. I did get a yellow fever vaccine, however, because it's cheap, I'm paranoid, and I don't really want yellow fever.
Apr 26th, 2014, 12:24 PM

As above, never heard of a SAA flight having a mechanical at Dakar, but mechanicals can happen anywhere.

However, if this happens and you have to layover at Dakar longer than the 12/hrs, Immigration at JNB will know and understand why pax deplaning this particular flight do not have the YF inoc.

Personally though, I have almost all inocs - DPT, Hep-A, Polio, Yellow Fever - for travel most everywhere 'just in case'

Search this Thread