Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Anyone flown Virgin Premium Economy London - Johannesberg?

Anyone flown Virgin Premium Economy London - Johannesberg?

May 17th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Anyone flown Virgin Premium Economy London - Johannesberg?

Hello - Last year we flew on BA World Traveler Plus, London - Johannesberg. Legroom was great, but the seats were very hard and uncomfortable. Equipment was an old 747-400.

We are returning on the same route next April. On BA, we have the choice of using the 747 again, or their new Airbus A380 - but reports are the seating is even worse on this one. We were wondering if Virgin is any better?

We don't care about the service so much, mainly the seat comfort. I am tall and prone to back problems, and anything I can do to preserve my back for a month of bumping about in a Landrover would be great.

We've read that Virgin has refurbished their old 747's, but the London-Jo-berg route still uses the A340-600. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated - we would like to book as soon as possible. Thanks so much!
May 17th, 2014, 02:34 PM

I have done Virgin's Premium economy from London to India both on the A340 and the A330. Virgin, compared to BA ( and virtually all others) has the most pitch and width on their PE product but not the most legroom unless you get an exit row. Service is so-so although food presentation is marginally better. Needless to say, no comparison to Upper Class or BA Business.
Now if I had the choice you do, I would take PE on BA's A380. Note I have not been on it, but saw Singapore air's PE on their A380 which looked good, better than Virgins. The bottom line, PE is economy with some more room. Check the seat size and pitch on BA's A380 here:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Bri...s_A380_new.php
May 17th, 2014, 03:11 PM

The Virgin map for the A340-600 is below. The PE seat has the same 38inch pitch as BAs A380, but is 2.5 inches wider. In either case snagging a bulkhead seat will get you significantly more legroom.
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Vir...bus_A346_2.php

Search this Thread